News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Elms Ball Room

Started by Towntalk, July 14, 2011, 12:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on July 29, 2011, 09:03:05 PM
Its interesting, I used just one book, the Yalta Documents themself, and nothing else, yet somehow I, a high school student came to the same conclusion that others smarter than I arrived at.
do not cut yourself short on your wisdom just because you were not in the right circles at that time.

Towntalk

Its interesting, I used just one book, the Yalta Documents themself, and nothing else, yet somehow I, a high school student came to the same conclusion that others smarter than I arrived at.

iwasthere

the Yalta Conference termpaper if written today will open peoples's minds esp information from that era has been dissclassified from the cia files.

Towntalk

Three and a half at Chaney and a half year at Rayen. Had a great English teacher at Rayen ... Bob Hassey who in his other job was a DJ at WBBW.

I was class of 1958.

My teachers at Chaney, especially my History teacher ... Mr. McPhee who was also the football coach, and my Civics teacher ... Mr. Stephens inspired my interest in history which explains why I chose the Yalta Conference. The book was almost 1000 pages of nothing but documents and was published by the U.S. State Department.

kenneyjoe330

Sorry I do not remember the gentleman - I usually went to the Main Rubin McMillan Library in high school (Mooney 63) and even when I went to YC.  I can't remember what my term paper was about but it sure wasn't anything as intellectual as "The Yalta Conference" WOW I would like to read it even now !  What high school did you go to ?   I would venture to guess Ursuline ?  NOW about that C - all I can say is these kids with their spell checkers - I can't do without my very old one my wife gave me for Christmas - I have one that has a Thesaurus too - these kids - I think - don't even understand how easy they got it.  THANKS for the short terrific story - I enjoyed it very much  8)

Towntalk

kennyjoe if you're that old you must remember George Jones, the Y.C. Librarian. A swell guy. I was going research for my high school term paper when he spotted me frantically making notes on a legal pad and asked me what I was working on.

"The Yalta Conference for my term paper", said I.

"Kind of deep stuff", said he.

With that I handed my notes to him, and let him read them.

To make a long story even longer, he made a few suggestions that I used, and when I handed the paper in, all 42 hand written pages not counting the bibliography, my high school teacher wanted to see the book I used ... it was quite a mess with all the underlining and notes.

Oh, yes, the book was my personal copy given to me by Congressman Kerwin.

I got a C on it, but the teacher said that had it not been for the spelling errors, it would have been an A paper.

kenneyjoe330

I wonder what that neighborhood was like with all those very large houses and a ball room and a small collage (would you believe I went to YSU before the S and U were added?)  I wonder where that bar was on Elm Street ?  It was a large bar with a lot of seating but by no means huge.  Pizza was a NEW THING TO EAT THEN  ;D :laugh:  IT REALLY WAS ! ! !  :o
It was the cool thing to have with beer after class  8)

I think that I may still have cosine Joe and Mary's invitation someplace - I never throw things out - but my wife does  :o  she is not nearly as sentimental as I am  ::) If it is gone - just like most things - it's her fault  ;)

iwasthere

Quote from: kenneyjoe330 on July 25, 2011, 05:26:44 PM
What year was it torn down ?   Was there a restruant/bar attached or something ?  I vaguely remember going there for Pizza and Beer in (Oh My Gosh) 1963  :o  Could I be remembering correctly ! ! ! I remember Elm Street going down to Lincoln and Schriver/Allison (sp) Funeral Home was on the corner and across Lincoln from the Science Hall - you know this is making me feel old  :laugh:
OH WOW kennyjoe you do have worn tread marks. were you around at the time of JESUS baptism? ;D

Towntalk

The Elms Ball Room was a stand alone building. Don't know what year it was demolished.

The Ball Room itself was huge ... had a balcony and a large stage big enough to hold a 20 piece orchestra. I would venture to say it was a big as a theater auditorium.

kenneyjoe330

What year was it torn down ?   Was there a restruant/bar attached or something ?  I vaguely remember going there for Pizza and Beer in (Oh My Gosh) 1963  :o  Could I be remembering correctly ! ! ! I remember Elm Street going down to Lincoln and Schriver/Allison (sp) Funeral Home was on the corner and across Lincoln from the Science Hall - you know this is making me feel old  :laugh:

iwasthere

i remember going to the idora ballroom for the yearly funraiser for the policemen ball at xmas time.

Towntalk

I was only in there once for a record hop that was run by Dick Beondi from WHOT, but I sure would have liked to have seen it in its hayday when it was bringing in the big bands.

iwasthere

maybe someone out there might have pics from the old elm street ballroom

Towntalk

Sorry buy unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the Elm Ballroom in my files, just a few ads.

iwasthere

towntalk i am aware of elm street ballroom. my former boss john cepin and his wife helen won a dance contest there during the big band era days. they esp john never forgot this feat. did it not stand where kilcawley stands today, towntalk?  do you have any pics of this place. the dj are you referring to is dick thompson and johnny kaye or boots bell?