News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Potholes/KFC/PETA

Started by jay, April 19, 2009, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty river

Graffiti, as defined in the City of Youngstown Zoning Ordinance:

...any inscription, design, word, figure or mark of any type drawn, marked, painted, tagged or written upon any building, bridge, fence, gate, rock, structure, tree, wall or other property visible to the public which defaces, damages or destroys any public or private, real or personal property.

Since KFC stencils its ads with a chalk based substance that is not permanent and washes away, and since it would be authorized by the city, I'm not sure that it would qualify as graffiti.

Why?Town

Graffiti? At first I thought no, not if the ad is paid for and authorized by the street dept.

Then I looked up graffiti on several online sources and find that it would indeed be considered graffiti, becuase graffiti is basicly just words/symbols/pictures/etc. painted/written/stenciled/etc. in public view. I was surprised to find NO indication that an advertisment is NOT graffiti, nor any reference that graffiti must be done without the property owners consent or in violation of the law (as we tend to think of graffiti).

So yes it is graffiti, graffiti that probably wouldn't even make very effective advertising.

Graffiti, for some reason, I like to type graffiti.

jay

Stenciling ads on the street is another form of graffiti.

irishbobcat

If KFC fills the potholes with what they put in their chicken potpies.....

they'll last forever!

Why?Town

From what I recall of the article in the Vindy,

KFC wants to promote their business by advertising on two potholes for donating $3000 worth of hot patch to Warren's street dept.

Instead of promoting itself, Peta wants to put a picture of Colonel Sanders with Devil's horns on two potholes for donating $6000 worth of hot patch to Warren's street dept.

The mayor of Warren wants to see if KFC will match Peta's offer.

If I were KFC I'd stand by my original offer of $3000. I'd also talk to my corporate lawyers about exactly who will be sued and for how much if Warren allows Peta to attack my company in such a manner.

To answer the question IMO, Youngstown could try to get money from either party but only allow positive advertising, just as Warren should do.

jay

Both KFC and PETA are vying for the opportunity to fill potholes in the city of Warren.

Should Youngstown try to get money from these organizations to fill potholes in our city?