News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Some downtown pictures

Started by northside lurker, September 25, 2007, 09:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

One of my very best friends in the whole world use to own the Printz Mansion,  and it is really huge inside. The Living Room alone could be divided in two and still have two large rooms. That mansion has quite a history behind it. Mrs. Printz was a long time member of the Symphony Society and hosted a number of internationally famous performers who were appearing at the Stambaugh Auditorium. Besides owning one of the large clothing stores downtown at the corner of W. Federal and Hazel, Burt Printz was also a Parks and Recreation member for a number of years. Grant's 5&10 later took over the building he owned.

On the Mezzanine of the mansion was a music room where some of the performers appearing at Stambaugh Auditorium who were staying at the mansion use to pratice.

The Printz family had a live in maid who had a really nice apartment on the third floor. I believe that apartment had three rooms just for her.

Leah

I was looking at a few of the photos on the site you provided the link for.

I was amazed at the photos of the Printz mansion.  It looks as though it is as beautiful today as it was when it was built. 

I was really saddened by the photos of the Warren P. Williamson residence.  According to the site, this is the location of the first radio broadcast in the Mahoning Valley.  Sadly, now it is a dump.

I didn't get a chance to look at any of the other photos.  Will have to come back later.  But, I had to post about this.  Unbelievable.

Towntalk

Sorry, but I posted all the homes I had.

You might try this web site

http://youngstownphotos.orgfree.com/

He also has a Yahoo link with a large collection of historic homes at his Yahoo Groups site which can be linked to from his orgfree site.

Shar

Towntalk,

Do you have additional pictures of homes?  I have been through everything at the MVHS looking for a picture of my house.  It was built in 1906 but they don't seem to have a picture of it in the archives.  We need to paint our house and I would like to make it as historically correct as possible. 

Shar

Towntalk

Thank You Westsider and Shar. What is on my Webshot site is just a small number of the historic pictures that I have in my library. I just wish that I could develop a site based on the 10 volume book I put together on the history of Youngstown, but in order to do that I would need  whole staff to help me, and unfortunately would need a huge budget in order to pay royalities on all the newspaper articles that make up the lion share of the book.

Shar

Wow Towntalk...you have some great pictures of the old homes on your website.  Very cool!!   ;D

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

For those who have never seen pictures of the Fountan and pool there is a picture of it at my Webshots site which can be linke to from the Gallery page on this web site. It was from a post card. Enjoy.

If someone wants to repost it here, please feel free to do so because I don't know how.

Towntalk

They were tidbits about the goings on in local politics with empathises on the crazy goings on among the Republicans who were in power at the time.

At the same time on the Editorial Page there were many one liners targeting both the Republicans, and the Youngstown Telegram. They really make for great reading ... short and terse.

I believe that the writer of the Man On The Monument also wrote the one liners. He later left The Vindicator to become Post Master. Later Clingen Jackson took over the column, but it wasn't the same as when the original writer wrote it.

The One Liners were called "Oleo" and here are a few samples:

"When Det Anderson visits police court there is always an abundance of copy on the hook from the police court reporter." 1/3/1903
"It's skedoo for Boss Anderson -- Newspaper Man Excluded From Property Owner's Meeting - - - His Royal Highness" 6/6/1906
"It is expected that the uptown district of the tenderloin is infested with "Maxies" as well as the East End. Make the house cleaning worth while." 1/25/1907

Det Anderson was long time head of the Republican Party here when it ran the city and was the Don Hanni of his day.

northside lurker

I really like the idea of a new fountain on the north side of the square.  Maybe even a modern interpretation?

Thanks for the information.  What were these imaginary conversations about?  Were they a form of commentary/satire of local politics or events?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

One article in my collection tells of how the Police had to scoop at least one drunk out of the fountain every Saturday night.

I agree though, a fountain on the North Island that replacates the old one would really be nice.

Back in the 1920's someone in the Street Department got the bright idea of painting it green in honor of St. Patrick's Day, and did such a poor job of it that the big wigs of the banks on the square demanded that it be torn out and scrapped.

Perhaps one of the sculpters that we have here in the area could replicate that fountain and convince the city to install it on the North Island along with the pool that surrounded it.

It's sad though that we could never be able to replace the four cannons that stood on the South Island. The origional cannons came from Fort Sumpter and our Congressman at the time got them for us and arrived here after the Civil War and before 1900.

Janko

That fountain was amazing. I picked up a photo of it at the Historical Society and had it framed.

I think we should try to place a replica of the fountain where the current flagpole is situated. There's plenty of space.

That island area needs some beautification.

Then the man and the lady might start talking again.

Leah

Quote from: Towntalk on September 25, 2007, 11:41:08 PM
Great photos.
Looking at the night scene of the Square, I’m reminded of all the newspaper articles from the early 1900’s about the political rallies that were held there timed to meet the workers going and coming from work in the mills, on the streetcars.

There use to be four cannons around the Man on the Monument, and the one facing North West use to move every time a streetcar rumbled by. The cannons were turned in for scrap metal during World War One.

The Vindicator use to run a column every Sunday bases on imaginary conversations between the Man on the Monument and the Lady that graced the fountain that was located on the North Island where the Square Branch of the Public Library later went.

What a great historical tidbit.  I love it!  I bet those Vindy articles would be interesting to read.

Towntalk

Great photos.
Looking at the night scene of the Square, I'm reminded of all the newspaper articles from the early 1900's about the political rallies that were held there timed to meet the workers going and coming from work in the mills, on the streetcars.

There use to be four cannons around the Man on the Monument, and the one facing North West use to move every time a streetcar rumbled by. The cannons were turned in for scrap metal during World War One.

The Vindicator use to run a column every Sunday bases on imaginary conversations between the Man on the Monument and the Lady that graced the fountain that was located on the North Island where the Square Branch of the Public Library later went.

northside lurker

I took some pictures downtown today, and these are my favorite.  What do you think?

--Thomas Edison