News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"My 5 Minutes with Mayor McNally"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 28, 2014, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

It was around 3 PM while I was setting up my 1951 vintage Gretsch drumset at Christopher's Downtown, that Mahoning county auditor Sciorentino said hello to me.  I asked him to come over after work and sit in since he is a musician.  Around 4:15 PM, Bremer of the Youngstown Syphony started to set up his upright bass and our guest soloist from the Boardman school system put his reed in his 1950's Selmer tenor sax.
At 4:45PM we started with a light swing and continued into the early evening with some funk and a little bosa nova.  As peopled walked into the old end-of-the-tunnel, the groove just got to really swing when in walks, at a brisk pace, the new Mayor of Youngstown, Mayor McNally.  After finishing another jazz standard, I welcomed the guest on the microphone and specifically greeted the new Mayor with, "Mr. Mayor, do I get my 5 minutes now?"  The whole joint laughed as he waved at me.  So..my trio played him a song, Bremer vamped a few bars of "my favorite things" and then I came in , in three.  And I thought for a minute that Coletrain was in the room as Tim Harker produced the melody from his antique tenor sax.
After the over 5 minute song, the Mayor on his way out walked over to us, reached out his hand over the drum kit and thanked us with a handshake.  Then I yelled my battlecry, "your're doing a great job Mr. Mayor, keep cleaning house!"
And to top off one of the hottest gigs in town at Christopher's, in walks the Finance Director of Youngstown himself, David Bozanich, in the middle of the intense Miles Davis classic, "footprints."