News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Will The Mahoning River Freeze Over?

Started by jay, January 22, 2014, 07:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

TV-21 reported that the Mahoning River is now completely frozen in front of the B&O Station.

iwasthere

bm would you check it out to see if it is frozen for ice skating.

Billy Mumphrey

I saw a part of the Mahoning frozen completely over just north of New Castle this morning.

Towntalk

Also thanks for the link. Too bad it can't be saved as I would like to add it to my library.

Towntalk

That was one of the locations but there were several ice companies ... the Crystal Ice Company being one of them. They all got ice from where ever they could including the Mahoning River. Remember that back then there was no refrigeration and ice was king not only in homes but grocery stores, brewerys and the local meat packers, restaurants, and hospitals the year around.
The ice houses had to be able to supply ice the year around, and the little dam just of Lake Glacier alone couldn't meet the demand by itself.

Vindicator 1/25/2013

Learn about ice making

During the early 1900s, the Youngstown Ice Company harvested ice for commercial use from Mill Creek and the Mahoning River. Look back at the ice harvesting industry and then take a walk to see what remains of the Youngstown Ice Company's heyday at Mill Creek Park Jan. 27 at 1:30 p.m. Those interested can then continue with a hike around Lake Glacier. Meet at the Davis Center. This hike is a moderate rating with hills and steps and will span 1/4 or 3 miles.

Cf: http://www.riversidecemeteryjournal.com/People/People/page57.html

jay

I was under the impression that the Youngstown Ice Company harvested ice from Mill Creek.  There is a little dam on Mill Creek just before it enters the Mahoning River.   

Towntalk

Back in the day, the Youngstown Ice Company use to harvest ice from the Mahoning River ... blocks of ice ... every winter so the ice there this year is not out of the ordinary ... back in the day it was the norm, and folks with ice boxes bought that ice.

jay

The ice was out about 15 feet from both side of the river today.  With a week of very low temperatures ahead,  I think we could see the Mahoning River frozen from one side to the other. 

When the thaw comes, we could see ice jams on the river.

iwasthere

my question is: WILL HELL FREEZE OVER TOO?

Billy Mumphrey

Another polar vortex returns Monday night. Overnight lows -10 to -15 Monday and Tuesday night.

AllanY2525

As the river becomes more clean it will be easier for it to freeze.  I remember
when I was very young I would ride with my dad over the Market street bridge
and there would be smelly steam rising from the river in January, due to
the heat pollution and chemicals the mills put into the river.

What about Crandall Park and Mill Creek Park?  Are they having ice skating this year?

jay

I went over the Mahoning Avenue bridge today and noticed that ice is starting to form on both sides of the Mahoning River.  Will the river freeze over this year?  I don't recall that happening in recent years. 

I believe I saw an old photo from years ago of people ice skating on the Mahoning River.   

If this freeze continues, will there be
Ice skating on the Mahoning River?
Ice fishing on the Mahoning River?

;D