News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Paramount Demo To Begin

Started by Towntalk, March 29, 2013, 02:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

For those who don't know, the three photos show buildings along West Federal Street in 1889. I wish that I could have posted larger pictures, because some of these buildings were quite impressive indeed.

northside lurker

Happy Easter everyone!

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on March 30, 2013, 10:14:41 PM
Too much parking downtown?  Where is it?  No I'm not going to walk three blocks to where I need to go.

In real cities, people are willing to walk three blocks to where they need to go.

Quote from: Towntalk on March 30, 2013, 11:41:54 PM
That's why these buildings are no longer a part of the downtown scene.

Just think how great downtown would be if many of those buildings were still there today!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

That's why these buildings are no longer a part of the downtown scene.

Why?Town

Just because something is old doesn't make it worth saving. If we saved every single building that ever stood we'd be living, shopping , and working in teepees and wigwams.

Rick Rowlands

Too much parking downtown?  Where is it?  No I'm not going to walk three blocks to where I need to go. 

Other historic downtown buildings have been renovated.  The Erie Terminal, Wick building, Burt, Semple, etc.  Next on the list is the Stambaugh.  All of those buildings could be repurposed, but a theater is a purpose built structure that would be difficult to use for anything else. 

Youngstownshrimp

You want regulation for lead base paint, you want regs for asbestos, you want regs. for minimum wage, regs for farming,..............................then when the City says it is too costly to save the paramount because of the all the regs. governing the construction cost, you cry we no longer care about our history.
If there were no regs to stop grassroots, we could have saved the damn thing for $50K

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on March 30, 2013, 11:46:17 AM
I fully agree westsider ... Is there an option that if a viable project comes forward that the city would go along with it? Provided funding is in place.

If a developer wants to redevelop the site in the future, I'm sure the city would be willing to cooperate.

Quote from: stewie on March 30, 2013, 04:51:51 PM
To those that would like to see it saved.  It's real simple.  Buy it. I am sure the City will sell it to an investor for a dollar. Then you can do what you want with it.  Do you want to save the front and make an entertainment venue out of it? Buy it. Farmers Market? Buy it. Anyone? ........chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp,....(crickets).

As I already said, I've resigned myself to the Paramount's demolition, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

QuoteThey "saved" the State Theater.  Looks great.  Downtowners now refer to it as "The Pit"  only there is no good barbeque there.

We do?  ???   This is the first time I've heard it referred to as "the pit" and I've worked downtown for almost 13 years, now.

Quote from: ytowner on March 30, 2013, 04:59:31 PM
The State Theatre facade looks ridiculous. I don't care if I am in the minority, it looks rIdiculous standing there with a pit of open land behind it. Come on people! You don't see random standing facades in other cities.

Sure you do: http://shoutyoungstown.blogspot.com/2007/11/to-stay-or-not-to-stay-states-faade.html

QuoteTime to move on. I don't mind parking if it can be open in the evenings for free to get more people downtown. With the new restaurant at Cedars and like the Erie Terminal coming very soon, the need for parking will rise.

And where are the hypocrites out there that want to save this building but whine about there not being enough parking???

Do they exist?  There's already way too much parking downtown, IMO.  People just need to be willing to walk a little more.  We shouldn't suburbanize what's left of our downtown, just because people are used to parking close to the entrance of their destination, in the suburbs.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ytowner

Quote from: stewie on March 30, 2013, 04:51:51 PM
To those that would like to see it saved.  It's real simple.  Buy it. I am sure the City will sell it to an investor for a dollar. Then you can do what you want with it.  Do you want to save the front and make an entertainment venue out of it? Buy it. Farmers Market? Buy it. Anyone? ........chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp,....(crickets). 
They "saved" the State Theater.  Looks great.  Downtowners now refer to it as "The Pit"  only there is no good barbeque there.
The State Theatre facade looks ridiculous. I don't care if I am in the minority, it looks rIdiculous standing there with a pit of open land behind it. Come on people! You don't see random standing facades in other cities.

Time to move on. I don't mind parking if it can be open in the evenings for free to get more people downtown. With the new restaurant at Cedars and like the Erie Terminal coming very soon, the need for parking will rise.

And where are the hypocrites out there that want to save this building but whine about there not being enough parking???

stewie

They "saved" the State Theater.  Looks great.  Downtowners now refer to it as "The Pit"  only there is no good barbeque there.

Towntalk

I fully agree westsider ... Is there an option that if a viable project comes forward that the city would go along with it? Provided funding is in place.

northside lurker

I've resigned myself to the fact that the building is coming down.  But that doesn't mean I think this corner will look better without it; it's another tooth lost in a smile that has already lost too many other teeth.

There has been mention of modifying the initial parking lot plan to add some landscaping along W. Federal, and maybe even to have a mural painted on the side wall of the adjacent building.  These would help a little to make the corner less ugly.  But, I don't think anything has been set in stone, yet.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

So what would you do with the building ... where would you get the money to totally rehab the building ... lets face it, every photograph that I've seen shows a shell of a building that is ready to collapse, or do photos lie? This building is a blight on all the efforts that are being done downtown. Beauty? What beauty?

I personally think that turning it into a 24/7 parking lot is crazy. Not too long ago a great idea was presented to reuse the land as an entertainment venu,and while their plan will have to be modifyed, that idea is still doable.

Its easy to spout protests to save the building when you have no cold hard cash out of your pocket invested, but that doesn't alter the fundimental fact one iota. Do we need to repost photos here to show that the building is beyond saving?

iwasthere

westsider could not had said it any better.

Towntalk

I say, let it stand as it is as a perminant reminder of just how decayed we as a city really are ... a monument to decay and rot. Gather around it and worship at the alter of decay while reciting poetry, and painting pritty pictures ... set up a May Pole and dance the night away. When the building finally collapses, hold a solom high funeral mass in memory of the building, but leave the rubble in place as a memorial.

northside lurker

Some of my favorite responses to this from the Defend Youngstown post about the demolition news on Facebook: (because I couldn't have said it better)

"Wow...a parking lot...I'd prefer to admire the decaying splendor of the Paramount..."

"If it was any other city, it would be saved. The powers that be couldn't care less about architecture, history or beauty. Their idea of great design is the Southern Park Mall. :|"

"Bulldozing the way to the future."

"More history being torn down with nothing to replace it..."
--Thomas Edison