News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

How Could We Use The Post Office Building?

Started by jay, December 06, 2011, 06:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Well my astute friend, as you know, all the carriers pick up their mail at the main post office now, and businesses send someone down there to pickup their bags of mail so it won't go empty any time soon ... it's the branch post offices you need to fret about, especially the West Side station.

sfc_oliver

Allow me to clarify. The best use for the building would be to use it as it was originally designed.... Closing it's operations will do nothing to help the valley.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on December 06, 2011, 10:38:03 AM
Is the post office building in the shadow of other taller downtown buildings?

Maybe the flat roof could be covered with solar panels to generate some electric power for the downtown area.

No, it wouldn't be impacted by shadows from other buildings.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Is the post office building in the shadow of other taller downtown buildings?

Maybe the flat roof could be covered with solar panels to generate some electric power for the downtown area.

northside lurker

I'm not familiar with the building.  Couldn't they maintain the post office in the front and just not heat and light (keep "night" lighting on, of course) the warehouse portion of the facility, where I assume most of the lost jobs are being lost?

Again, not being familiar with the building, it seems like some kind of clean/green manufacturing could be done in the space.

Are there any big box/department stores that have a track record of using preexisting space?

I don't like this idea, but what about a storage facility? ( place for people to keep their excess junk)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The building could be used as an incubator for small businesses that are not internet oriented.

Towntalk

If the downtown post office becomes just another branch office, there would be a whole lot of unused space and heating as well as lighting just ain't cheap so they might just opt to shut it down completely, but on the other hand, they might just opt to keep it open and close all the other branches.

Where I use to work, we'd make three mail runs a day and come back with two and three large sacks of mail, so with all the businesses there are still here, it would be difficult to send their mail to the small branches for pickup.

I know that some folks enjoy making trips to the branch post office in their area, but I'm confident that it wouldn't be long for them to find other ways to amuse themselves.

sfc_oliver

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

What could be done with the post office building if the Postal Service moves out entirely?  Post your ideas.

Could it become a mini-mall?