News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Do We Need A Downtown Bakery?

Started by jay, November 23, 2010, 09:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: westsider on November 24, 2010, 09:55:53 AM
When Rosetta Stone first opened, they had their own pastry chef.  Unfortunately, that position didn't last long, I assume, because there wasn't a huge demand.

When the Lemon Grove first started opening early for breakfast, they had a wide selection of Maggies Magic Muffins.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to have nearly as many muffins available now.  Again, I assume this is because there wasn't enough demand.

So, by extenstion, I will assume that there isn't a market for a stand-alone bakery downtown, yet.  When more people start living downtown, I think it could become a very nice amenity, though.
could it be that the prices were too high for the folks that lived downtown.

jay

Maybe one of the pizza shops could start making some bread, rolls and pastries.  If sales increase, the shop could expand its offerings to include more bakery items.

northside lurker

When Rosetta Stone first opened, they had their own pastry chef.  Unfortunately, that position didn't last long, I assume, because there wasn't a huge demand.

When the Lemon Grove first started opening early for breakfast, they had a wide selection of Maggies Magic Muffins.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to have nearly as many muffins available now.  Again, I assume this is because there wasn't enough demand.

So, by extenstion, I will assume that there isn't a market for a stand-alone bakery downtown, yet.  When more people start living downtown, I think it could become a very nice amenity, though.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

True, but when you speak of a bakery you are talking about various styles of bread, rolls, cakes and pies, and as you know, already the large bakerys have shops that sell left over products at a drasticly reduced price, and a small bakery that doesn't have a large customer base to begin with couldn't afford to try to sell day old products along side fresh baked products.

Don't get me wrong though, I would support a downtown bakery, but we must look at it from the standpoint of a professional baker.

He would have to start by baking all his products in small quanities ... in the case of pies and cakes very small quanities as they do not hold up the way breads and rolls do.

Consider the fact that there have been folks that have tried to open bakerys in Youngstown only to close their doors because they couldn't compete with Giant Eagle and Sparkle Markets that have in house bakerys.

jay

There is a Plaza Donut Shop inside the WRTA Building.  The Capitol Grill, Pizza Joe's and the Yogurt Corner sell various types of cookies each day.  None of the baked items are elaborate though.

Towntalk

Yes, but the question is that given the costs of the materials which a small bakery couldn't get at the same price as say Giant Eagle or Sparkle Markets, plus the cost of the equipment, rent, utilities, taxes, etc. could a trained baker make enough to stay open. Would there be a large enough customer base to support a downtown bakery?

jay

Do you feel a small downtown bakery would be successful?

Yes or No and Why