News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Railroad Quiz

Started by Towntalk, September 25, 2010, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I would have LOVED living there!

Towntalk

Just looking at just how much trackage was downtown alone gives us an idea about Center Street.

What I can't get is the fact that at one time many folks lived on the East End of downtown between the mills and East Federal. What kind of life did they have especially during the age of the steam engines. The noise of the mills and trains plus the smoke must have been awful. Imagine trying to raise children under those conditions.

I'm talking about the period around 1907 and earlier, and basing it on Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps in my library. Even the 1928 maps show that folks were still living in that area.

Rick Rowlands

Center Street was the busiest non interlocked railroad crossing in the US, where the Pennsylvania Railroad, Baltimore & Ohio, Erie, New York Central and P&LE all crossed. 

Towntalk

Does it have anything to do with the Youngstown Car Manufacturing Company?

kenneyjoe330

It must have been a very large hub in the railroad business because in some old maps I recently saw (on another thread on this forum)  Hazelton was written just a little larger than Youngstown - it was a railroad map so Hazelton (Center Street) must have been more important than Youngstown ! ! !

Towntalk

Aside from the fact that the Center Street bridge was built in 1910/11 by the Republic Iron and Steel Company and turned over to the city on October 24, 1911, I wouldn't know, but you're right about the C&M.

Rick Rowlands

Cleveland & Mahoning Valley.

Now another question, what was significant in railroading about Center Street?

Towntalk

Here's one for the railroad buffs in the audience.

What was the first railroad to come through Youngstown?