News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Illegal Dumping

Started by Youngstownshrimp, August 19, 2010, 11:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Interesting, people are still reading this.

Youngstownshrimp

Of all the places I lived, it is astonishing to me that what many in Ytown chalk up as bias to their political views is merely bringing to light a mindset of post industrial rationale that believes subsidized employment is a good thing.  And that grandstanding on a soapbox preaching that this dogma is going to better our community and any opposition to their plan of Youngstown 2010 is anti Youngstown.  It is not political views that is decried here but rather leadership without prov en track record and the undercurrent of anti free enterprise. 

Oh, so that I can stay on topic, illegally dumping is not a fair trade practice.

Towntalk

69 Albums
958 photos
95 downloads

Rick Rowlands

I hereby pledge to reform my posting activity on this forum and try to elevate the level of discussion as much as possible.  Let's see if we can't get some of our former members back!

Towntalk, what are the total hits on your webshots site?   I have 8400 photos on mine and am at 1.4 million hits! Never knew so many people liked to look at industrial photos!

Towntalk

Suggestion:

Shut off the political thread for one week and see just how many folks post on the others while keeping om topic. My webshots site averages out at 1000 hits a week every week so there are folks that are interested in Youngstown's history, but its not reflected here so I feel what's the use of wasting my time when I could be concentrating on my webshots site. I still have a large amount of material to go on there.

DefendYoungstown

Its remaining participants...which is the same handful of people that communicate on virtually every thread. Even to that end, I think it has more to do with quality of conversation. If it was respectful, thoughtful political conversation, it would still attract participants. MahoningValley.info has a generally antagonistic theme to its political conversations...and, as stated previously, it seems to permeate every thread to some degree. How many are deterred because of it? I could name a few. Too bad. It's a great site.

Rick Rowlands

What is a shame is that the political discussions are the only ones that elicit replies.  I have posted many a non political thread that has died a quick death, as has Towntalk.  This site has found its niche as a mainly political discussion forum because that is what its participants want. 

Now onto tires.  Twelve years ago these people were saying the same thing that I am saying now:
http://wasteage.com/mag/waste_recycling_scrap_tire/

And some more recent developments in burning tires for fuel:
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/feb/new-source-of-green-energy-burning-tires/article_view?b_start:int=1&-C=

"Consequently, the ultimate solution may be considerably less elegant than recycling: using tires as fuel. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), tires deliver 25 percent more energy than coal, with an emission profile of greenhouse gases and other pollutants that is about the same, making them acceptable as an industrial fuel. The RMA says that in 2005, 52 percent of all the scrap tires reclaimed in the United States were burned for fuel. In Europe the figure was 31 percent, according to the ETRMA.

Nowhere are more scrap tires combusted—58 million of them in 2005—with less fuss than in the giant kilns used to make cement. Kilns can consume whole tires but are routinely criticized for releasing pollutants, especially dioxin, which environmentalists contend is a by-product of chlorine compounds contained in the tires. Critics also worry that tires are opening the door to the use of kilns as general-purpose incinerators handling all kinds of nasty substances. "We believe the burning of tires is the first step to burning a whole slew of waste materials, even diapers," says Anne Hedges, program director for the Montana Environmental Information Center. "The kilns are like a garbage disposal."

http://www.alternet.org/environment/90943/
90 megawatt tire burning power plant planned for Erie, PA

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100407/NEWS02/304069913/-1/RSS
...but is moving to Meadville because of no rail access in Erie.  Article states:
"Rubino said that the state Department of Environmental Protection had recently given draft approval to the air-quality permit needed for the energy plant in Erie, confirming that the proposed plant would have met or exceeded all state and federal requirements. "

http://meadvilletribune.com/homepage/x712214196/Group-forms-to-challenge-proposed-tires-to-energy-project
And then the NIMBYs get involved.  Be sure to read the comments in the gray sidebar. 

DefendYoungstown

Why does every thread seemingly have to be injected with a flavor of philosophical political thought (both sides) in the conversation? We all have our views and positons on certain issues and it's important to debate such things...but every topic? It really gets tiring and I know for a fact that it keeps folks from returning to this site. And that is a shame.

Rick Rowlands

Why the fear of a coal power plant? Is this based on anything other than just a negative perception?  Did you know that you expose yourself to more coal pollution living in Youngstown than you do if you lived in Stratton, OH next to the Sammis power plant?  That is because Youngstown Thermal burns coal and has no scrubbers. Sammis has a billion dollar scrubbing system that went online last year.

You really shouldn't worry.  The environmentalists and doomsayers would have you living in absolute fear if you listened to everything they said. Its really not that bad!

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on August 20, 2010, 09:23:35 AM
And I wouldn't be surprised if these "savages" live within 1/4 mile of the actual dump sites.

That's certainly possible, too.  But how often does the stereotypical "savage" have to dispose of landscaping debris?

QuoteAre you the poster that several months ago was claiming that most of the city's crime was committed by suburban residents?

I don't think so.  But, I'm not sure I remember any poster on this site making that claim. (I've seen that claim made a few times on the Vindy site, though.  But not by me.)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

Quote from: westsider on August 20, 2010, 07:53:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these "savages" doing this illegal dumping are property managers, a.k.a. private investors a.k.a. slumlords, living in the suburbs.

And I wouldn't be surprised if these "savages" live within 1/4 mile of the actual dump sites.

Are you the poster that several months ago was claiming that most of the city's crime was committed by suburban residents?

northside lurker

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these "savages" doing this illegal dumping are property managers, a.k.a. private investors a.k.a. slumlords, living in the suburbs.

Rick, burning coal isn't as bad as it used to be with all of the smoke scrubbing technology we have today, but I still wouldn't want to live next to a coal power plant.  Can tires be burned as "cleanly" as coal?  I wonder if the scrubbers used at coal power plants could work on tires as well?  If not, who would pay to develop the technology to make burning tires cleaner?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Savages is the correct term!

Tire dumping is a big problem that government can't seem to solve.  Actually the problem has been solved but government won't allow the solution to be implemented.  Power plants can burn tires, and by doing so tires go from being a waste product to an item of value.  I would hazard a guess that six months after tires obtain a positive value, it would be nearly impossible to see a discarded tire in the city, and instead the police will start receiving reports of stolen used tires! But since the EPA won't allow tires to be burned, they instead litter our cities, streams, vacant lots etc.

Youngstownshrimp

While I was starting the irrigation pump this morning 200 hundred feet up the hill in the entrance to my farm I was told by a witness that a pickup pulled in and dumped rhododendron cuttings and root balls.  Amazing how brazen the savages are becoming.  Aside from dumping used tires and trash, they even dumped three puppies that my associate brought to a shelter.