News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Hazel Street Extension

Started by jay, June 15, 2010, 09:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

joly i was not attacking you but giving my rebuttal to the vindy article. i should have been more clear ;D i was part of the group that wanted justice for the inds when their lands and bldgs were being taken from them through lies and deceitful business practices.

joly1584

I must have posted wrong.  What is posted is part of an article from the VINDY, not necessarily my opinions on the subject.  I was just trying to answer your question about where the money is coming from. 

I doubt Hazel Street will be crowded with students.  Most students at YSU go to class then head back home to the suburbs, just like people who work downtown don't know what else is there besides their job. 

iwasthere

joly why should any government monies whether its a loan, tax. levy or a grant use to build a road that only benefits the local construction companies and its employees. will i see this rd/walkway crowded with ysu stds after its completion? where did all that capital monies that sweetie picked pocketed go to during his rein?

Rick Rowlands

Quote from: joly1584 on September 21, 2010, 04:46:38 PM

City and university officials say it's important to tie YSU to downtown to develop a stronger working relationship between the school's business students and downtown businesses.

This is a typical nonsensical statement that pervades the media nowadays.  Now tell me, how was the old alignment of Hazel Street discouraging working relationships between business students and downtown businesses?   The only thing Hazel Street extension does is tie in the business school to the main campus.   Now if you really want to continue the tie in, lets re-landscape the hillside between Hazel and Phelps, eliminating the visible barrier between downtown and the higher campus elevation.

But eventually you get to the point where the campus becomes too big.  To walk from the man on the monument up through Hazel Street to the Lyden House is almost one mile, uphill all the way.

joly1584

The following comes from the VINDY:

Published: Wed, January 20, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.By David Skolnick

YOUNGSTOWN — City council is expected Thursday to give the go-ahead to more than $4 million in capital-improvement projects, including the extension of Hazel Street to connect downtown to Youngstown State University.

Most of the funding for the projects will come from the state.

Construction on the Hazel Street extension, first proposed about four years ago, is expected to start as early as April and take six months to be done, said Charles T. Shasho, the city's deputy director of public works.

The $1.17 million estimated cost for the expansion is to be paid through state grants.

The work would extend the street from West Wood Street, where it ends, to Lincoln Avenue, where YSU is building its $34.3 million college of business administration. Hazel between Commerce and West Wood streets is also being realigned as part of the extension.

City and university officials say it's important to tie YSU to downtown to develop a stronger working relationship between the school's business students and downtown businesses.

iwasthere

Stowe find out who is footing the bill for this road that goes no where only inot the ytown city taxpaying residents. if ysu's officials wanted a pretty street to promenade into the ytown downtown they should pay the bill themselves.

Penguins37

This is going to be so cool once it is finished.

iwasthere

A WASTE OF CITY RESIDENTS MONIES FROM THE WATER FUNDS. WILL THERE BE A STREAM OF YSU STDS COMING INTO THE DOWNTOWN WITH THIS NEW ROAD.

Towntalk

Can't wait to see the finished product.

jay

An Update

jay

A recent photo

jay

Work on the Hazel Street extension has begun.