News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jolly Bar

Started by jay, June 06, 2009, 06:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I could see why the newspaper people went there.  The building in the backround on the left is the Vindicator building.

When did the Jolly Bar cease operating?

Towntalk

Actually I know very little about the hotel itself, but the Jolly Bar was a hangout for some of the printers and composers at the Vindicator. It does show up in a number of old postcards that give birdseye views of Spring Commons, but like many of the other small "hotels", it couldn't compete and soon just rented out its rooms.

Around the corner as you all know, the Youngstown Hotel was built, and in its better days was a popular stop with travelers since it had all the features that the Hotel Ohio and Tod Hotel had but at a lower cost.

Sorry I can't give you more information.

jay

The Jolly Bar was located on the ground floor of the old Valley Hotel Building in downtown Youngstown.  The building is currently undergoing asbestos removal prior to its demolition.  The plastic covered windows, as seen in the photo below, are a way of sealing the structure as the materials containing asbestos are removed from the inside.

Maybe TownTalk could give us the history of the Valley Hotel.