News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jolly Bar

Started by jay, June 06, 2009, 06:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Jay:

The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for 1907 shows that on the first floor was a store in the building and didn't indicate that at that time it was a hotel. This leads me to wonder if it wasn't a boarding house as opposed to a true hotel.

This makes sense since there were also two large hotels in the immdiate area. The two I mentioned elsewhere.

If it had been a "true hotel" the map would have indicated it.

Towntalk

6 days a week I had lunch there ... spaghetti and a glass of beer to wash it down. It was awful but cheap.

john r. swierz

Maybe I was thinking of Jays on the west end. I do remember the Boston on the east end

Towntalk

The one I'm thinking of was near the old Salvation Army on East Federal. I worked at Rendano's.

john r. swierz

I believe the Boston Grill was located where the Bus Terminal now stands.

Towntalk

During the filming of that show I was working at a store on East Federal across the street from the Boston Grill. They did some filming in that area.

Towntalk

I might be wrong about the name ... I also recall an Earl Hotel or something like that. The hotel I'm thinking about was located near where the New Park Burlisque was located. It was used in a couple of scenes (the hotel, not the theater).

john r. swierz

I was just with someone on Thursday that has a copy of that segment, and he is going to burn me a copy. Are you 100% sure!  I would be willing to bet a meal at the food court. The fire station was built in 1956 and I think that I can come up with a picture of the station and there wasn't a hotel around it.

Towntalk

Wrong. it was the old Erie Hotel that was located near where No. 1 Fire Station is today. You are correct about the Struthers Fieldhouse.

john r. swierz

Actually the hotel was located on W. Boardman St.

john r. swierz

Youngstown Hotel, The fight took place at the Struthers Fieldhouse.  I was a 11th grader and the audience was made up of students. Many years later I fought the fire that marked the end for that hotel.

Towntalk

Speaking of old westend hotels can anyone name the West Federal Street hotel that was featured on Route 66 in which Darren McGaven played a boxer? The show was taped here in Youngstown.

Towntalk

Thanks for the update Mike.

There was a larger hotel at the corner of West Federal at Spring Commons in the 1900's, and the Pennsylvania RR Passanger Station was across the street. It went under several name changes.

Mike

You think more parking spaces?

Mike

According to County property records, the 1,660 sq foot building was built in 1900. The current owner purchased it for $55,000 in 1984.