News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Future of the Paramount site

Started by penguinnick, June 05, 2009, 10:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynds

facade in front, green space with bocce courts in back...

Towntalk

I've spoken before about the Paramount building and I won't repeat it here, but I do believe that Frango should be forced to pay all the costs of demolition and if it takes taking him to court to do it, so be it.

Why should the city be forced to pay all the costs even if some of the money would be state money?

Jaime Hughes

Iwas there, I know ALL about his friend from Chicago, in fact I have hard evidence and other things that accuse his partner of doing wrong. We chased him out of Youngstown once and I have no objections doing it again. I am going to do everything in my power to A/ Get the State facade cleaned up, and keep the Paramount up... I got a REALLY good response of Youngstown natives and supporters about the State facade remaining. I've spoke with Lou before and he is very VERY similar to his Chicago counter part. I am currently writing letters and emails about this. Show your support!

iwasthere

let lou frango foot the entire bill, he and his chicago partner bought the paramount to renovate and to restore it to its past glorious splendor. frango's partner was convicted of fraud in chicago and he is making license plates as a new career. the city must keep a close eye on frango's ytown downtown bldgs before they go by the waste side aka paramount theater. no local, state or federal monies should be spent on tearing down this bldg. frango must PAY all costs for this demolition of this project. annie gilliam, where are you? the downtown is in your ward. is annie gilliam meeting with frango on a ongoing basis to assure the ytown residents that the remaining downtown jewels that are owned by frango are in perfect conditions?

Jaime Hughes

I think that this is a FANTASTIC idea of greenspace. There are enough parking spaces downtown and I feel like we should voice our idea to Lou himself.

Louis A.Frangos:
Phone:   1-216-621-9255
Fax:   216-621-6266
Address:   1325 Carnegie Ave
    Cleveland, Ohio 44115
E-mail:
   info@usaparking.com

john r. swierz

Keep it going, we have begun to define what should be in the greenspace. Now form a committee and sign up to speak before council.

AllanY2525

I agree with the idea for a green space, maybe a small, outdoor concession stand
for coffee, sandwiches, etc  - served from one of those small "hot dog wagon"
type vendors...maybe a wireless "hot spot" for Internet junkies (ie: you pay $1 for an hour or so worth of wireless while relaxing there with your notebook pc...)

Would be a nice place for people who work downtown to take their lunch, etc..

john r. swierz

How about  a small green space with benches?

ytowner

I've said for 5 years now that this was the biggest eyesore in Downtown. It's about time the city had the guts to decide to knock it down.

rusty river

If the roof wasn't in such bad shape, I think the paramount would have been a great site for a year-round public farmers market. All you would need is a shell of a building.

northside lurker

Just some quick thoughts:  I agree that we don't need more parking!  I like the idea of a small, outdoor ampitheater.  And, saving the facade would lend itself to that use well, I think.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

WHY SHOULD THE CITY FOOT THIS OUTDOOR PARK/INTERNET DREAN. LOU FRANGO IS THE CULPIT TO FOOT THIS ADVENTURE. HE IS THE ONE THAT PUT THIS YTOWN JEWEL AT DEATH'S DOOR DUE TO HIS CARPETBAG MENTALITY. THE CITY IS BROKE AND WILL NOT PUT THIS DREAM INTO REALITY. IT IS EASIER FOR THE CITY TO TEAR DOWN THE BLDG. AND PUT ASPHALT DOWN, WHITE STRIPS AND HERE IS THEIR CONTRIBUTION TO THIS DREAM, A PARKING LOT OWNED BY AN OUTSIDER. YTOWN RESIDENTS WAKE UP AND TAKE ACTION IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BETTER FOR THE DOWNTOWN THEN A DOWNTOWN KNOW FOR PARKING LOTS WITH FORMER ICON FACADES AS A MEMORIAL TO YTOWN PAST.

Towntalk

Glad to see that others share my thoughts on that property.

penguinnick

We all need to be organized at this very moment in order to have our voices heard as to the future of what is to become of the Paramount site.

I know what I want.  I want an urban park with a large fountain where people can relax at an outdoor Internet café.  Local bands can play at lunchtime.  I want beautiful plants and trees that draw people to this site.  This site can also be used for a farmers market.  Living in Pittsburgh it's amazing how many fountains of many sizes there are in downtown – I feel like I'm in a European piazza.  The Paramount site has the same possibilities.   

I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER PARKING LOT IN ANY WAY OF FORM!   

Maybe others feel differently then I do, but I think none of us want to see a parking lot.

"City officials are working on putting together a deal under which the property would be used for public parking during the day and possibly as a mini-amphitheatre at night. "There are ways that you can do that," Bozanich said. He acknowledged that an outdoor Internet café, mentioned as an option earlier in the week by Sarah Lown, the city's development incentive manager, was another possibility for the site."

How are we going to go about making our voices heard?