News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Missing Tree

Started by jay, August 12, 2008, 10:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I'm continuing to go off-topic.

I disagree that there shouldn't be many trees, or only small trees downtown.  When done right, trees help to soften the hard surfaces, and can enhance the architecture.  I think some of my favorite photos of downtown have trees in them.

This one isn't particularly great, but the trees help a lot, IMO.

This is an example of a poorly placed tree.  It's directly in front of the State Theatre's facade.

The maple trees in this photo, if they are allowed to grow to maturity, would completely block the view of the McCrory building, and possibly obscure the memorial.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

I think they did a good job with Central Square.  I don't particularly care for the trees downtown.  There is a place for everything.  Downtown is the place for architecture.  When I go downtown I want to see the buildings, not a bunch of trees.  I would rather see plants that are not as obtrusive as the trees. Maybe shrubs or dwarf trees that don't grow to such large sizes.  I tried to point out the John R. Davis building to my wife yesterday but all she could see was a couple of big trees!  Gee, I'll bet there is some nice architecture in that jungle, but I'll be darned if I can find it!

The only tree that belongs downtown is the CHRISTMAS tree.  Nope, its not a HOLIDAY tree, but a Christmas tree. 

Mary_Krupa

I recall reading something at the time of planning the new Central square and that was that they had only enough funding for a "quick and dirty" (my quotes) job. That is, put in the basics, let's just get it in. The hope was expressed that improvements would be expected in the future.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Defend Youngstown

I'm not sure how the tree was destroyed, but we had a cone over it which is why some folks might not have noticed the damage previously (which I'm going to put back over for the time being). Jay: The short answer is "no" - the concrete is hurting. This highlights, again, why the Central Square design is an inferior one and should have included proper civic input. I'm meeting w/ Sharon Letson Friday at 2pm to discuss alternative strategies for these locations (perhpas large planters, etc).

PK

northside lurker

I looked today, and this is (was) a different tree than the one I thought.  I hope this wasn't a healthy tree.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I noticed the tree was missing when I attended the Italian Festival.   A tent's side wall was over the location of the broken tree.

Question
With all of this cement on Central Square, is a tree able to receive adequate quantities of water to survive?

northside lurker

I think this tree was partially dead, anyway.  Maybe someone got tired of looking at the tree, and vented their frustration?

How long has it been this way?  I remember seeing it, still intact, last week.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

It must of gotten tired of looking at all of that concrete and run away.

jay

What happened to this Central Square tree?  Something had to have hit it.