News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Riverside fitness trail

Started by ForumManager, August 02, 2008, 09:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

A bike trail like that invisioned would be a good idea.

I'm reminded of the bike trails across Canada, and how popular they are.

We have many wonderous sites here in Ohio that could be reached by an innerconected bike trail with overnight hostels.

In Europe they also have bike trails with hostels, so why not Ohio?

Defend Youngstown

Roger that, TownTalk, and I didn't mean to come off sounding harsh myself. It was Mr. Rowlands comments, I thought, that were justfied in thought but unproductive in delivery, setting off . Maybe it's just all the emails from the Forbes article wearing me a bit thin this week. Regardless, here is an email I recieved from Sarah Lown this afternoon:

"Phil

FYI, I am attaching the bike trail proposal sent to me by Benkhe and Assocs from Cleveland.

We agreed to move forward on all the links on the attached map except the "E" to "F" link, which connects the River with the YMCA. We don't have the budget for that right now.

I contacted Sharon Letson and Hunter Morrison by e-mail to see if they will share in the cost of developing a broader loop connecting the River with the YMCA and campus. The estimated cost for that will be $23,000- to $25,000.

If you know of other bike-loving, deep-pocketed souls, send them my way! I think we can do this. Once we find local funds for the planning/grant proposal phase, I think it won't be hard to get grants to build the trail.

Thanks,

Sarah

p.s. also fyi am attaching the proposed local links to the Lake to River bike trail."

I have copies of these proposals and will send them to anyone who would like them on Monday morning  -just send me an email (pkidd@cityofyoungstownoh.com). Have a great weekend!

PK

Towntalk

Phil:

My comments were not aimed at you in any way. You are doing a great job. My own beef is with studies in general.

I know that the state and feds require studies to accompany grant applications, and the city is powerless to change that.

My question is why a group like StreetScape can't go down and clean up the Riverfront Fitness Trail on a volunteer basis and save the $22,000 for other projects.

How many people have used that trail? We already have such trails in Mill Creek Park.

While the riverside area needs to be cleaned up why can't it just be left alone since it is a habitat for animals, and subject to flooding.

Personally, I would rather see you get that money for your projects.

We keep hearing about the need for green space, and what better place for it is on the banks of the river. A natural park like setting much like that envisioned by Volney Rogers. A buffer zone if you please.

When and if the River is ever cleaned up to the point that it can be used safely, then plans can be made for such things as fishing and picnics.

Defend Youngstown

I would ask that you please have your facts straight before you submit aggressive posts, particularly toward someone whom simply attempts to keep citizens informed of any and all developments that they may otherwise not be aware of. Regarding the trail, I am simply passing along information from the Economic Development department and officials from YSU (whom are the departments conducting the study) as a courtesy to members of this board. Because an idea or a study is conducted downtown does not mean it comes from my office. Addionally, studies are required so that grant money can be allocated for projects. Perhaps the old study is outdated or there is a required revision after so many years. I do not know. Your point of contact is Sarah Lown in Economic Development 744-1708. I'm sure I will learn of more details of this project if/when it progress and I plan to continue to share that information.

Towntalk

Members

Denise M. Skowron, Chairperson.  Her term will expire on December 31, 2011
Denise A. Warren, Vice-Chairperson. Her term will expire on December 31, 2008.
David M. Davis, Member. His term will expire on December 31, 2010.
George F. Williams, Member. His term will expire December 31, 2009.
Address:
1st Floor, City Hall
26 South Phelps Street
Youngstown , OH 44503

Office Phone:   330.742.8711
FAX:   330.742.8715
Hours:   Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm

PERSONAL
Michael Berry   Maintenance Supervisor 330.742.8711
Tiffany Chavers   Administrative Assistant 330.742.8711
Henry J. Stambaugh Golf Course    330.743.5370
Jerald Gordon   Maintenance Crew Supervisor 330.742.8711
Carla Isabella   Secretary to Director 330.742.8713
Jerry Stanley   Park Police 330.742.8711
David Sturtz   City Forester 330.742.8711
Darlene Tubbs   Executive Secretary 330.742.8712
Jason Whitehead   Interim Director 330.742.8214

Towntalk

If the City can't, or won't maintain the trail, then it's time for them to turn it over to Mill Creek Park.

Youngstown is quick to start projects that it isn't prepared to maintain and this makes absolutely no sense. If they didn't have control of the land in question that would be one thing, but they do, so if they expect private property owners to maintain their property, then they should be required to go and do thou likewise.

There needs to be a complete reform in the way the Parks Department works, and a whole new board needs to replace the ones that are there now.

jay

As I stated earlier, isn't the Youngstown Parks Department supposed to maintain the trail?  As the trail grows in, people will quit using it.

What if the grounds crew quit mowing the grass on a ballfield.  Within a week or so the grass would be too high for a baseball game to be played.   

Towntalk

By the way, I'm NOT against a fitness trail, I'm all for it, I'm just OPPOSED to wasting tax dollars on studies that no one ever reads, and for the most part are never implimented.

Towntalk

I have to agree with Rick on this one.

Why is it that every time we turn around someone has to be calling for spending MONEY WE JOLLY WELL DON'T HAVE ON STUPID STUDIES THAT NO ONE WILL EVER READ on projects tat FEW WILL EVER USE.

In the basement of City hall are hundreds if not thousands of "studies" that the city commissioned costing us hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars THAT WERE NEVER IMPLIMENTED.

Why not dig out the original Riverfront Fitness Trail plan, then get together VOLUNTEERS to go down and clean it up like we do StreetScape, and use that $22,000 on some worthwhile project downtown that will draw folks down like the Italian Heritage event.

I'm POSITIVE that Phil could well use that money in a really productive way, and the choir said Amen.

Rick Rowlands

Why spend $22,000 to STUDY redeveloping the fitness trail?  Why not spend 22K to FIX the trail?  How about save that 22K and ELIMINATE the trail.  Nobody uses it, and when it is redeveloped nobody will use it then.  That location is secluded and easy pickings for the criminal element to accost people who would use the trail.  It was a dumb idea to begin with and never should have been built.   

Defend Youngstown

A $22,000 study will soon be conducted by the City and YSU to redevelop the fitness/bike trail along the Mahoning (from at least the Chevy to Mill Creek Park. More to follow. Stay tuned...

jay

A sewage plant is designed to operate at certain maximum capacity.  Adding a lot of rainwater to the inflow will exceed the capacity of the sewage plant.  Rainwater and sewage should not have been mixed together in the first place.  An upgrade of the waste water system (for both sewage and storm water) is in order.

The older parts of the city probably discharged all waste waters into the Mahoning River long ago.  For health reasons, sewage was eventually directed to a sewage plant.  The newer sections of the city have the sewage water going to the sewage plant and the storm water piped to a nearby stream.

P.S.  Storm water also carries some pollutants such as litter, fluids that have dripped from cars, and dirt.

ForumManager

AllanY2525

I guess what I was trying to suggest is that these sewer overflow points be directed to a wastewater
treatment facility as well....wherever the sewage is overflowing into Mill Creek park, etc it should be
redirected from that point to the treatment facility..

Towntalk

When we have a heavy rain we have rivers flowing down both sides of the street because the sewers can't handle that much water which leads me to wonder just what toxins could be in that water as the sewers overflow. (Uggggggh the very thought is gross.) :P >:(