News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Council Term Limits ????

Started by jay, August 21, 2018, 05:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

At a recent candidates' forum, Anita Davis stated that she wanted term limits removed.

I wish I could have told her that the President of the United States and the Governor of Ohio have term limits so city council should have term limits too.

Rushblvd

Absolutely NOT FOR IT.. When a individual runs for office they should have a plan of ACTION, and know how to implant this plan if elected. Once elected they should begin to honor the plan, promises, or whatever it was they got elected on.. The council pushed this through for the ballot and it was SHADY--SHADY ---SHADY...
To the Council---you had your run at it now move on. If you were unable to finish what you started please remember there are neighborhood groups that you could involve yourself  in,  and still promote  your plans of ACTION...
This is a City that is struggling not only with population, but financially. We do not need people who want to take advantage of a political seat for their own gain..

jay

How do voters in your neighborhood feel about the council term limits issue?

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on August 22, 2018, 05:33:52 AM
A few times over the past 20 years, wards elected councilmen who terrible.  The people of the wards were stuck with the terrible councilmen for four years.

Youngstown is basically a one party town and that party usually doesn't run another candidate against a sitting councilman.

Residents of the ward could start a recall petition but that method is very very difficult to accomplish.

ytown residents do not need another jim unfornate or pete starks or a pat ungaro. these individuals ran ytown into the ground.

jay

QuoteI guess this snuck in on the 2nd Agenda that was NOT passed out to the gallery.

I find it disgusting that council had an 11 or 12 issue agenda while in the finance committee meeting.  When council met a few minutes later, the agenda then jumped to 27 issues without the public knowing what the 15 added issues were.

This stinks!!! :P

and

These men and women want to stay in office forever.
   :P   :P   :P

Rushblvd

I guess this snuck in on the 2nd Agenda that was NOT passed out to the gallery.. :'(

YOUNGSTOWN — City council approved legislation tonight to place charter amendments on the November ballot to eliminate term limits for its members and for council president.

It also approved an anti-fracking charter amendment that's been rejected seven previous times by city voters for the November ballot. The Mahoning County Board of Elections will meet Sept. 4 to officially place that proposal on the ballot.

Council members are required to approve the anti-fracking amendment under the city charter, said Law Director Jeff Limbian.

Rushblvd

We have to have term limits in this City. The past clearly tells us why :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

jay

A few times over the past 20 years, wards elected councilmen who were terrible.  The people of the wards were stuck with the terrible councilmen for four years.

Youngstown is basically a one party town and that party usually doesn't run another candidate against a sitting councilman.

Residents of the ward could start a recall petition but that method is very very difficult to accomplish.

iwasthere

This charter admendment is self serving for the current termed out council reps. Do four years two terms then hit the sunset. If they were cut from the same cloth aka harry meschel than I will not have a problem with them going for another four years. Guess what? They are not cut from the same cloth as harry meschel.

Why?Town

I don't live in the city but considering the number of politicians throughout the country that love their jobs more than the people they are supposed to represent term limits should be applied to every position at every level.

jay

Youngstown City Council will propose a charter amendment that would eliminate council term limits.  Currently council members are limited to two four year terms.

Question for our Forum members

Do you support the elimination of term limits for city council members?