News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Old Photo of Fire Station

Started by jay, December 04, 2006, 06:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

I went straight to your site for info Greg.  I'd love to know more on the removal of the 3rd floor and why.  I wonder if the building records list any permits and info on it in archive.

yfdgricker

Oh man, I didn't even get a chance to answer and I knew that one! :)

That photo was taken for the 1914 YFD History book entitled YFD: Past and Present. The photo captures Youngstown Station 7 at Madison and Elm  as it looked right after the department became fully motorized.

The truck on the left side is the Department's 1913 Robinson, designated Hose-7. On the right, one of the department's original 4 horse drawn steamers with a motorized Christie tractor front.

The biggest change to the station was the removal of the third floor. Even Sherlock Holmes had questions even he couldn't answer and the details surrounding the 3rd floor of the station are still a mystery to me. It seems not much was published regarding the event. Most of my sources say it occurred in the 1940's. Sure wish I could find something to pin point it and find out what really happened.

TownTalk is correct, construction of Station 7 began in 1903 (also when the cornerstone of the building was laid). The station was pressed into service on January 23, 1904. Youngstown was experiencing severe flooding on the Mahoning River and the waters were so high that it was impossible for fire units to get across. Several companies were moved to the West side of town temporarily. The Chief took a spare truck and some firefighters and opened the station to provide an extra company on the North side and East side. The station officially turned 100 years old on January 23, 2004 and is the oldest still operational firehouse in the city.

Station 9 on Midlothian Blvd was opened in July of 1922 and is the 2nd oldest station still in service. 

Towntalk

The fire station at Elm and Madison.

During it's long history the building had 2 fires. It is also one of the last of the old stations and unless I'm mistaken it is 100 years old.

jay

Time for some trivia

Which fire station is in the photo?

There is something unusual about the history of the building.  What is it?