News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bad News

Started by Towntalk, September 19, 2015, 10:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on September 20, 2015, 09:07:48 AM
Youngstown would be better served if the space between Covelli and Market Street Bridge was reconfigured into one giant free parking lot that is meant to serve not only Covelli, but the new ampitheater and also parking for downtown businesses.  Perhaps WRTA could once again run the downtown trolleys between this lot and downtown.   

Definitely a good idea, Rick... I don't know how up to date Google Earth is - but looking down at all that vacant, barren
land around Covelli Center one can't help but feel that it takes away from the looks of the place visually.  It's a shame
to see all that land just sitting there and nothing being done with it.

At the very least, it would be nice if the city would plant some GRASS on the land if they don't plan to do anything with
it in the near future so that it is not bare soil.  People could use it to play baseball, soccer, etc.

A trolly would be a great idea, also... since folks don't like walking long distances to get from their parking space
to where they are going downtown (at least, if one were to believe recent articles in the Vindicator...)

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Towntalk on September 20, 2015, 01:12:21 AM
My complaint isn't with the owners of the parking lots, it with the bloody city officials who are so incompitant that they are tearing this city apart, and if something isn't done soon, we will see a decline in the number of people that will come downtown. Why would anyone want to come downtownand pay $2.00 an hour to park their car which could come to $6.00 or more? Would you put out $50.00 for a ticket to a show at Covelli then have to shell out $8.00 to park your car, and if you should stop at one of the downtown eateries more for parking up to $12.00 plus a bar bill?

If you buy 2 tickets that could set you back $100.00 just for the tickets. Is $150.00 for a night out worth it? A lot of the shows at Covelli and DeYor are more than $50.00 each.

Most of those lots are $2 - $2.50 per day. Not per hour.

Speaking of Covelli - Every time I take my son to a Phantoms game, we have to pay $5 to park in the Covelli lot.  So $2 - $2.50 is nothing.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

All of those parking lots have signs that clearly state "No Free Parking At Any Time".
Those folks chose to park in the lots anyway.
Their cars were towed by the owners of the lots - not the city. And it was their own fault.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Rick Rowlands

Youngstown would be better served if the space between Covelli and Market Street Bridge was reconfigured into one giant free parking lot that is meant to serve not only Covelli, but the new ampitheater and also parking for downtown businesses.  Perhaps WRTA could once again run the downtown trolleys between this lot and downtown.   

BTW, expect to see the use of speed cameras increase, and expect to see shenanigans take place n the police department.  This is a huge revenue stream for the city, and expect to see it defended at all costs and expanded as well.  That 12 mph over the limit allowance will be slowly reduced, especially once the revenues start to fall off from people driving slower. 

This IS Youngstown after all, and if there is one thing we do well it is engage in shady public sector activities.   

AllanY2525

Quote from: Towntalk on September 20, 2015, 01:12:21 AM
My complaint isn't with the owners of the parking lots, it with the bloody city officials who are so incompitant that they are tearing this city apart, and if something isn't done soon, we will see a decline in the number of people that will come downtown. Why would anyone want to come downtownand pay $2.00 an hour to park their car which could come to $6.00 or more? Would you put out $50.00 for a ticket to a show at Covelli then have to shell out $8.00 to park your car, and if you should stop at one of the downtown eateries more for parking up to $12.00 plus a bar bill?

If you buy 2 tickets that could set you back $100.00 just for the tickets. Is $150.00 for a night out worth it? A lot of the shows at Covelli and DeYor are more than $50.00 each.

Interesting point - how much parking capacity does Covelli Center actually have ON THEIR PROPERTY?  As big as that
patch of land is and all the vacant land around it, there could be a LOT more free parking right there on the grounds
for patrons who are there for an event.

The arena could use the parking area for general public parking when there are no events going on, and make a
few extra dollars in the process.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Our 2ยข on September 20, 2015, 12:48:59 AM
Private companies can charge whatever they want and follow whatever rules they want to.  The problem is our city letting these areas of unused land become property of these companies.  They only care about their bottom line...which is the way of business...they don't care about a city having troubles...even in Cleveland and Pitt, they only care about profit...and I know firsthand that losing a few customers didn't matter.

As for speed cameras...there is a fine line between safety and $$$$.  Cleveland lost their cameras in a lawsuit.  I use cruise at all times, but I bet that the old speed for safety wouldn't matter.  If traffic is moving 5 mph faster, then I'd be the traffic hazard by doing the limit...and that's a law-breaker too.  So, which is it, safety or $$$?

If you are driving the speed limit and others are 5 MPH above it - you are not breaking any laws,
they are.  You are under no obligation to speed and break the law in order to accomodate those
who are already operating their vehicles OUTSIDE the law.

If an officer tried to cite you for obstructing traffic and you are already doing the speed limit,
the case would be thrown out of court.  No police officer has the authority to tell someome
to exceed speed limits set by the state, county, etc.

As far as the safety issue, I've already argued that the problem would just as easily be
solved if people would obey the speed limit (and the law) in the first place.  You cannot
put the blame for this on drivers who are doing exactly what the law says they SHOULD
be doing.

As far as the "money grab" issue - I hope somone DOES challenge this in court and
get some kind of compromise....but in the mean time, if drivers would just STOP speeding
it would DENY the city and the police of this MONEY. 

Just until it gets a chance to get fought in court, at least.........if people who are NOT
in receipt of speeding citations were to stand up together and fight this issue, it
would make their case more credible in a courtroom because the other side could
not make the arguement "they're just fighting it so they don't have to pay their fines".

Towntalk

our2cents

Private companies can charge whatever they want and follow whatever rules they want to.  The problem is our city letting these areas of unused land become property of these companies.  They only care about their bottom line...which is the way of business...they don't care about a city having troubles...even in Cleveland and Pitt, they only care about profit...and I know firsthand that losing a few customers didn't matter.

As for speed cameras...there is a fine line between safety and $$$$.  Cleveland lost their cameras in a lawsuit.  I use cruise at all times, but I bet that the old speed for safety wouldn't matter.  If traffic is moving 5 mph faster, then I'd be the traffic hazard by doing the limit...and that's a law-breaker too.  So, which is it, safety or $$$?

Towntalk

Between the speed traps on I-680 and the park and tow downtown anyone even thinking of coming into Youngstown for any event is a BLOODY FOOL. The agravation isn't worth it. Youngstown isn't worth it! For years I have been talking up the city, but at this point in time, I've reached the point where I couldn't care less about this city.