News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Opposition To Snow Clearing

Started by Towntalk, May 15, 2015, 12:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Here's a "Pie in the sky"  idea.....I have visited downtowns in the past in other cities that
have HEATED SIDEWALKS.  Steam pipes or electric elements are embedded under
the pavement and heated to just above 34 degrees or so.

The heaters are cycled on and off in short pulses to maintain the temperature
of the concrete.  Not a new concept....in buildings and homes it's known as
a radiant heating system.

St Paul's church on 5th Ave used to have thus tyoe if heat in the classroom
section of the building...it works VERY well.  I used to roast during Catechism
(sp?) classes every Saturday morning during the winter.

No shoveling or salting....ever.  Less wear and tear on the concrete because salt
and chemical ice melting compounds are no longer used on them, so it lasts longer.

Youngstown Thermal still supplies steam to the downtown, right?  There are probably
steam mainlines all over (or should I say under) most of downtown, if not all of it.

Rick Rowlands

The sidewalk is just as important to a property owner as the street, but the city plows the street and not the sidewalk.  The city has the means to plow sidewalks while individual property owners may not.  The city exists to provide services to property owners, and sidewalk clearing is certainly one of those services that should be provided.   

Its time for governments to just bite the bullet and accept responsibility for sidewalks as they should have done all along.  Due to the varied ownerships, occupancies and usages of real estate, it is not feasible for each property owner to clear sidewalks in a timely manner. 

And for you social justice warriors, it is discrimination against property owners who have sidewalks, because those that do not get a "free ride". In a "fair and Just" society, this sidewalk inequality must be addressed by not clearing any sidewalks.  It is not fair that some people have clear sidewalks to use while others do not.

AllanY2525

Exactly - and if these businesses DO clear their own sidewalks, then give them
a rebate for the assessment on their property taxes.  That way they have the
choice of doing it themselves or paying the tax.

Either way  the walks WILL get shoveled, period.

Irishbobcat

Fine them or tax them...either way...those sidewalks need to be clean in the winter.....most businesses do not clean in front of their stores....and walking is tough.....

If we start talking taxing them...I'm sure then they will get off their duffs and start shoveling.......

AllanY2525

The city should just levy a small property tax if they're gonna force businesses
to clear the city's own sidewalks in the downtown - and then pay it's own
street department to do it.

Kind of like the way the city assesses whiteway lighting taxes on residential
property owners for the street lights on their streets which, by rights, belong
to the city and the Utility company.

Then there will be no excuses.

Towntalk

" DON'T MAKE ME SHOVEL SNOW." say downtown business men and Phil Kidd.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/may/15/proposed-snow-removal-law-gets-cold-shou/
Even one of the downtown churches is opposed to the idea.
FINE IF THE DOWNTOWN BUSINESSES ARE OPPOSED TO CLEARING SNOW IN FRONT OF THEIR ESTABLSHMENTS THEN REFUSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!
DRAW UP A MASTER LIST OF THOSE BUSINESSES THAT DO NOT SHOVEL THE SNOW IN FRONT OF THEIR BUSINESS THEN WORK TO PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS.