News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

NEW BUSINESS OPENING ON SQUARE

Started by Towntalk, April 27, 2015, 07:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The red and white pole outside barber shops references a time when barbers were expected to perform bloodletting and other medical procedures to heal the sick; red represented blood and white represented bandages. "Barber surgeons" in Rome also performed teeth extraction, cupping, leeching, bloodletting, surgery and enemas. However, today's barber poles represent little more than being a barber shop that cuts hair and does shaves.

AllanY2525

SOURCE:  WikiPedia online...... I didn't realize that they came in different colors.....

A barber's pole is a type of sign used by barbers to signify the place or shop where they perform their craft. The trade sign is, by a tradition dating back to the Middle Ages, a staff or pole with a helix of colored stripes (often red and white in many countries, but usually red, white, and blue in the United States). The pole may be stationary or may revolve, often with the aid of an electric motor.[1][2]

A "barber's pole" with a helical stripe is a familiar sight, and is used as a secondary metaphor to describe objects in many other contexts. For example, if the shaft or tower of a lighthouse has been painted with a helical stripe as a daymark, the lighthouse could be described as having been painted in "barber's pole" colors.

Towntalk

Can anyone tell me what the meaning is behind the barber pole?

joly1584

Allan-

He does have a barber shop pole; however, it is inside the front window not outside.  You would not notice it from the street unless you were stopped at a red light.

AllanY2525

ahhhh...sadly, I am bald so I would not have much cause to visit the barber shop...but then I
Could always just stop by and tell them to "take a little off the sides, please..." while catching
up on local news, gossip, etc.

A nice cup of coffee and a copy of the Vindicator to read while sitting in the chair would be
Great too......hope he puts up a swirly spinning barber pole outside with the red, white and
blue stripes.

:)

Peggy Gurney

I just may have to check this place out. It's time for another trim anyway.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

DITTO! Especially a good Barber Shop that could rid some of those moth eaten, long haired, straggly beared guys of half of their hair  :P  and make them look halfway civilized  :P  if that's even possable.

Peggy Gurney

No one should ever object to new business opening in Youngstown...............

........... unless, of course, it is another bar!   :P    j/k
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

How many "NEW"businesses that have opened on the west side got any help from the city? If this barber/beauty shop had opened on Mahoning Avenue say in the Schenley area would you have objected?

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

Didn't this business recently receive a "water department grant" to open?

AllanY2525

Way to go, Jerome.....now THIS is a business that EVERYONE could
patronize. 

Even okay for the kiddies.

;D

Towntalk

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO
Jerome Franklin
Owner
STARTING LINE UP

Towntalk

STARTING LINE UP