News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Nothing New!

Started by Towntalk, April 22, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Who is "falting" the West Side? I'm falting those in my own ward who are not as proactive as Jay. One of the former 7th Ward leaders has let us down. He knows all the right people and he still has his thumb on the 7th Ward neighborhood groups yet saddly he is not using that knowledge for the benefit of both his neighborhood group or the neighboring groups. Jay on the other hand champions both the 4th and 5th Wards to his everlasting credit. Come to think about it, he even tosses in the 6th Ward to boot. As to the 3rd Ward, Peggy does a good job, and come to think of it, I promote events in the 1st and 3rd wards even though I moved to the 7th a year ago.

SIDEBAR: I try to listen to WKTL but it is drowned out by other stations ... I wanted to try to listen to it on line but all I seem to get is the Akron station. I don't live that far from the WKTL transmitter, but I might just as well live in New York. What's the deal?

Irishbobcat

What is the problem with West Side residents promoting their side of town? If they are proud of their efforts and want to promote them....go for it.

One can't help that the other sides of town are not pro-active and do not promote their efforts and successes....Clean up your ends of town and tell us about it!

You can't fault the west side for probably being the most attractive side of town.....and working hard to keeping it that way!

Towntalk

Peggy, I have a facebook account and a number of local media people post on it, and you are very welcome to join in on the conversations, and start some as is Allan.

jay

If something wonderful is happening in your ward or on your side of town then please tell us about it.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: AllanY2525 on April 26, 2015, 02:19:44 AM
I agree with the rest of you regarding the "non-new-idea" approach to downtown.
New street signs are not going to do much ..... and Youngstown's downtown is just
too damned SMALL to get LOST in, so way-finder signs are really unnecessary.

They definitely need to direct more  focus at the residential areas of the city. 
Businesses are going to look at more than just the downtown if and when they
consider starting up in, or expanding to,  Youngstown.  They're gonna want to see the
kind of neighborhoods their employees would be living in, what the schools are like,
available neighborhood parks, etc

The mayor and city council, chamber of commerce, etc should be shamelessy and
endlessly promoting  the city to every business out there looking for a possible new
location that will listen to them.

Agree, Agree, AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    If you have a Facebook account PLEASE post this on there too.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I guess my beef is that all we hear about around here are the wonderful things that are happening on the West Side ... Not I don't object to that if it's balanced by what's happening on the other sides of town besides the occasional fish dinners. If I were 15 years younger and could drive I would get out there and promote the 7th Ward, but unfortunately not only can't I drive, but my health is not the best, not that that seems to matter to some around here.
We use to have several people around here who did promote the 7th Ward, but they have stopped visiting here for their own reasons, but we still have one active person who recently found themself in another Ward, but they still have many good contacts who could fill the void, yet they seem to not care, so what can I say?

AllanY2525

I agree with the rest of you regarding the "non-new-idea" approach to downtown.
New street signs are not going to do much ..... and Youngstown's downtown is just
too damned SMALL to get LOST in, so way-finder signs are really unnecessary.

They definitely need to direct more  focus at the residential areas of the city. 
Businesses are going to look at more than just the downtown if and when they
consider starting up in, or expanding to,  Youngstown.  They're gonna want to see the
kind of neighborhoods their employees would be living in, what the schools are like,
available neighborhood parks, etc

The mayor and city council, chamber of commerce, etc should be shamelessy and
endlessly promoting  the city to every business out there looking for a possible new
location that will listen to them. 

Peggy Gurney

TT, for information on CityScape and where their money comes from, a trip to their website would be beneficial. There is a wealth of information there.

Here is one informational flyer.
http://www.youngstowncityscape.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-Streetscape-History-1.pdf
~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

You can get the names and addresses of Cityscape officers off of their website.  Youngstown CityScape hosts StreetScape every year, and encourages every neighborhood to do cleanups and plantings that day. Sometimes there are plants and flowers left over after planting downtown and they give these to the neighborhoods.

Youngstowncityscape.org

Also, just because Rocky Ridge and the Garden District are planting on Streetscape day, does not mean that they're getting their materials from CityScape.
We are planting in our neighborhood as well, on Streetscape day, but we plant our own stuff and do not ask for help from CityScape.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I'm for full disclosure as to: [1] Who is donating; [2] Their full address; [3] How much they donated; [4] How much was spent; [5] How much reserve cash do they have; [6] The names and addresses of all the officers of Streetscape; [7] How many paid employees; [8] Their annual wages.

jay

StreetScape plantings are privately funded.  I would like to know just how many donations came from citizens on each side of the city.

Towntalk

That's the 4th and 5th Wards, but what about the 3rd; and the 7th Wards ... are we not a part of Youngstown ... don't our working families pay their fair share of Income Taxes? Or is it a case of the 4th and 5th being the only areas worth saving? We shouldn't need to get on our knees and plead for a few left over crumbs after the downtown; Rockey Ridge; and the Garden District have gobbled up most of the resources.

jay

The Rocky Ridge and Garden Districts will be doing StreetScape plantings on the west side.

Towntalk

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the downtowners anything, BUT the fact of the matter is that ALL that effort is being done at the expense of the 3rd; 4th; 5th and 7th Wards, where by the way a huge chunk of the city's revinue is coming from so that a few saloon keepers can peddle their rot gut whiskey and bar food.

PD

If you look at streetscape it is pretty much just downtown