News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Nothing New!

Started by Towntalk, April 22, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I say let the city divert a few dollars from the Water department (it is financially
self-sufficient and does NOT run on taxpayer dollars) and have the welding shop
at one of the local area vocational schools make the metal framework for some
kiosks of the "You Are Here" variety.  Youngstown's downtown is small enough
that it should only take half a dozen or so for the entire area.

Have an insert for the kiosk where the city could post up and coming events,
just by sliding a poster into a frame or something similar.  Put some lights
in it for after dark and now you've got something nice that catches the eye.

Put some nice shatterproof, thick acryic sheets up in them with a map of downtown
Youngstown.  Something about an inch thick - a sledgehammer could not break it.
Maybe have a section that gives out of towners some suggestions on the best
restaurants and other places to see while they're in town.

That's my $0.02, but with inflation these days it'll probably cost me a quarter....
LOL.  I see no reason why the councilperson representing the downtown cannot
chip in some money from their "discretionary fund" since this is money already
allocated to them from the city's budget.  Stuff like this is exactly what the
discretionary fund is for, ie: to make improvements in the ward that benefit
the general public.

If there are some young, bright, motivated grant writers out there, then let
them come forward and contribute, by all means.

Peggy Gurney

Personally, I feel that Youngstown taxpayer dollars should be spent to improve the WHOLE of Youngstown, NOT just downtown.
If taxpayer dollars are being spent to make and install these signs, I will be protesting. Loudly.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

The Lansingville Block Watch not only does the same but it also has community events such as parades and picnics. The Seventh Ward citizens Coalition covers the whole 7th Ward and has all sorts of events during the year.

Oh, and thanks for a good respectful debate. Have a great day, my friend.

Nicholas Serra

Rocky ridge member, active in cleanups, routinely monitoring vacant properties and clearing trash and debris, member of the YNDC Rocky ridge neighborhood action group. That's just in rocky ridge. Etc etc etc. Seems we don't agree on how money like this should be spent. Oh well :)

Towntalk

Nick:
Here's a list of some of the groups that serve the 7th Ward
1 Brownlee Woods Neighborhood Association
2 Cochran Park Area Association
3 Lansingville Block Watch
4 Seventh Ward Citizens Coalition
What have you personally done for your neighborhood?

Towntalk

Nick: The Neighborhood group I live in is quite active. We sponsor a number of events here in the 7th Ward and we don't expect the folks in the 1-2-3-4-5- and 6th Wards to foot the bill with money they need for their own areas.

PD

Best thread in awhile

Towntalk

Get this streight ... When the people living in the downtown area report that [A] they have started a neighborhood group like Rockey Ridge or the three here on East Midlothian; and When they raise the money to pay for the signs, and [C] when they volunteer to care for the signs with no tax payer dollars, THEN I WILL KEEP MY OPINIONS TO MYSELF, BUT UNTIL THEN, AS LONG AS EVEN A SINGLE PENNY OF TAX DOLLARS IS SPENT THEN IT'S FAIR GAME WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Towntalk

As for street signs ... many people have poor vision so the city should triple the size of all the downtown street signs and have them lit up after dark ... many people have problems walking long distances so at every Kiosk downtown there will be scooters that can be rented for a couple of dollars, for the hard of hearing, and the blind there should be people who know sign language, and people who can aid the blind. There could also be porta potties where folks using colostomy bags could take care of them.

Nicholas Serra

Exaggerating ridiculous solutions doesn't get your point across any better. Signs that make downtown look better and make it guest-friendlier isn't something to lose your mind over. If you have an area in mind that deserves signage, then speak up. I already mentioned the playhouse. If you have valid constructive criticism, again, speak up. There are not resources to put pretty signs in every ward of the city, especially when there aren't attractions that actually draw people. This is a city, not your personal corner of your neighborhood. Can't fix everything at once with the snap of your fingers.

And Rocky Ridge has gained its funding from an active neighborhood group and a few dedicated individuals who sit down and write grant proposals. So back away from your keyboard and come up with an idea to raise some money for your own neighborhood if that's what's bothering you so much. Be part of the solution.

Towntalk

Tell ya what Nick ... lets not only have a big banner on every single light and telephone pole in downtown, but lets hire a dozen people who would guide out of towners to all the venues ... lets also install kiosks on every block ... and large neon signs on every parking lot saying FREE PARKING BETWEEN 7:00 PM and 4:00 AM ... and a FREE WRTA bus going up and down all of the downtown streets ... Oh wait a minute make that along Commerce, Federal, Boardman, and Front streets from 5:00 pm and 3:00 am. Would that make you happy?

Towntalk

Nick, you have me all wrong ... completely wrong ... I'm as sweet and gentle as a tiny Hummingbird ... I love good music ... empthesis on "good", I wouldn't harm any animal, and I turn and walk away rather than step on a tiny ant ... I'm as sober as the proverbial judge ... BUT THAT BEING SAID ... I have no control over what others do, but I've been high tech since the Commodore Vic 20 came out ... I am into any sort of high tech tool that makes life easier and am saddened by your assumption that there are many who do not have the capacity to find their way around an 8 block area of Downtown Youngstown ... how sad ... how pathetic on their part.
I lived in Pittsburgh ... ran a wholesale house there and I assure you that downtown Youngstown can not be compared to Pittsburgh ... nor Cleveland. You can set 15 downtown Youngstown in downtown Pittsburgh ... and where is it written that just because a city like Pittsburgh does something that we have to mimic them?
As I said, if the city wants to clutter the downtown area with banners advertizing bars and restaurants then those businesses should pay going advertizing rates. I'm sure that there is a local silk screen printer that would jump at a chance to make up some banners ... BUT NOT ON MY DIME!

Nicholas Serra

You're being a bit hostile. I've considered all of those things. Many people don't use GPS, and many GPS units don't provide parking info. And nobody wants to grab their iPhone while driving and try to find parking directions on the website of the venue they're visiting. The lack of cohesive signage in a district that we're trying to promote for entertainment is embarrassing. Take a trip to Pittsburgh or Cleveland and notice how branding and wayfinding ties the points of interest together in an area.

Seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't in this town.

Towntalk

No one is missing the point but you.
First of all, did you ever consider the fact that Covelli and DeYor provide directions to their venues along with parking information. Did you ever use Google, Yahoo or Map Quest to find directions? Did you ever use GPS to guide to to your destination? Next we're talking about a THREE BLOCK AREA on WEST FEDERAL STREET; a BLOCK AND A HALF ON EAST FEDERAL STREET and aside from Covelli there's nothing more on East Front Street at night.
Those banners constitute advertizments and the venues that they mention should pay going advertizing rates ... not the tax payers.

Nicholas Serra

Everybody seems to be missing the point that the wayfinding signs are mainly for out of towners coming to special events downtown. They are focused on downtown because there is a main stretch of bars and restaurants, a theater, and covelli center. If another part of the city had a consolidated area that had a draw for outside crowds, then this issue would be brought up there too. I can't think of anything outside of downtown that needs this. Maybe the playhouse?

While we all may know the easiest places to park, and how to get to the covelli center, people who do not live here may not.