News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lemon Grove 2013

Started by jay, August 13, 2013, 09:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Mumphrey

I know a few small non-restaurant business people downtown who have been talking to folks in city hall about this same idea.
I've been told it is falling on deaf ears.

Towntalk

Is there any group that is seriously promoting downtown Youngstown as a location for stores? The arts folks take credit for all the restaurants there, so why isn't there a group that seeks to bring retail stores downtown?
Don't these downtown business men realize that by having stores downtown that everyone would benefit from increased traffic?

Billy Mumphrey

AllanY2525

I think a small General Store could work downtown.  A smart owner/manager would probably want to do
some surveying of the student body at YSU and determine what items students need and purchase the
most, as well as merchandise that is popular with downtown residents.

Maybe add a consignment section for buying and selling good, used items such as school books and computing
devices, ie: tablet and notebook pc's, maybe a geek-squad-like outfit, etc (?)

Towntalk

Family Dollar would make a good fit because they have a grocery department as with the Family Dollar in the Union Square Plaza.

Billy Mumphrey

I agree Kenny. The little deli market next to the Grove seems to have met a need for downtown. I also believe some type of "dollar store" could work on W. Federal. I know I would like to be able to run in and grab some items on foot instead of having to make an extra stop on the way home in my car if I worked downtown. The same could be said for the new apartment dwellers downtown. I am sure the new YSU students who are moving into the Erie Building would like to be able to walk around the block for everyday items and goods.

kenneyjoe330

Charm or not downtown sure could use a 'dollar store' - to get Woolworth Charm would be way way too expensive today  :laugh:

I never did care for the Lemon Grove - as stated before very poor service, over priced and the food was not that good.  That was where some of the people went so I just went along with the group.  May be the third time will be a "charm"  :laugh:  I wish him well.

Billy Mumphrey

Very well said, Mary. Funny, students don't mind the hike from the YSU dorms to the bars downtown. Many other college towns have established storefronts other than bars to attract college students. Athens, Oxford, and Kent are a few to come to mind. Don't believe everything you hear regarding broke college students, mostly from football players. Most college students have a nice chunk of spendable income.

Mary_Krupa

I think we all know that Woolworth's is out of business. I was referring to the special atmosphere of a Woolworth's. The $ stores have no charm.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Rick Rowlands

You all need to get with the times.  Woolworths went out of business in 1997.  The modern equivalent would be something akin to a Walgreens.  But ultimately it would be a heck of a hike from the YSU dorms to a store in the downtown, which is probably why the CVS located up next to Stambaugh Auditorium.

You have to wonder why there are not more retail establishments around campus with the number of potential customers available.  Perhaps starting a business catering to perpetually broke college students isn't going to be much of a money maker. Also, YSU still is largely a commuter college.

Billy Mumphrey

Would not such a store like Woolworth's also be good for the students living on campus with no cars?

Mary_Krupa

Sure wish a Woolworth's would go in there. Too bad they aren't around. They were so much more interesting than the $ stores.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Billy Mumphrey

If the Lemon Grove/Knox goes under, wouldn't that location make for a nice store like Dollar General in downtown? With more folks living
and working there now, would a store of this type be welcomed so downtown folks wouldn't have to drive out of downtown to stores north or south to
get simple household supplies?

Billy Mumphrey

I think I heard "Nearer my God to thee" playing on the jukebox tonight when I walked by.

Mary_Krupa

OMG, I can't believe they did that!  That's just wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I love the whole idea of the Lemon Grove. A very nice casual place to have breakfast, lunch or dinner, to see who's walking by, and to relax after attending various meetings or having a meeting there.  We were so fortunate to get a genuine coffee shop style establishment in Youngstown. It makes me unhappy that it couldn't pull itself together.  Probably nothing that good management couldn't fix.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."