News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lemon Grove 2013

Started by jay, August 13, 2013, 09:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary_Krupa

Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Youngstownshrimp

Back to the topic, Doesn't the Occupier, MVOC, Defend movement seem like ancient history? 
We recently hired a liberal, yes we did and she was right up front in the movements listed above.  Very bright girl and sad to see how she is depressed and confused for believing the hipsters and Lemon grove crowd.  Like Irish Bob, they both fought hard only to see only free enterprise works.

Rick Rowlands

Since the city is intent on demolishing the Tod plant that land would make a good place for some free parking.  But of course it will be turned over to USA Parking instead!

jay

With the downsizing of the U.S. Post Office Building, maybe that location would be a good place to start with some type of store.  The north and south sides of the building also have plenty of parking spaces.

Towntalk

The city has sold its soul to the company that runs all or most of the downtown parking lots so unless one or two of the stores I listed can break the mold and have free customer parking no store will consider opening in downtown Youngstown, and in time after folks have become bored with what eateries are there, downtown Youngstown will become a ghost town once again.  :'(

Rick Rowlands

The Winner is successful in part because of that huge parking lot at Reyers across the street.  I can go to downtown Sharon, park for free and walk in the front door of the Winner without any hassle.  Parking is a huge issue and actually plays a big part in where I go to.  That was one of the reasons that I liked Cafe Cimmentos.  Parking was always better on the east end. 

Billy Mumphrey

KennyJoe...I agreed with you! I have 50 cents to my name, can I invest with you? The city should get involved with downtown development other than
bars and restaurants. If there is now a push to open up downtown to apartment dwellers then the availability of everyday goods should be part of the plan.

Towntalk

:-* :-* :-*  FAMILY DOLLAR  :-* :-* :-*
:-* :-* :-*  SAVE-A-LOT  :-* :-* :-*
:-* :-* :-*  DOLLAR GENERAL  :-* :-* :-*
:-* :-* :-*  BIG LOTS  :-* :-* :-*

kenneyjoe330

I think every day items - small office supplies, kitchen stuff, pop, beer, chips, a box of cereal, milk, a can of soup or other canned foods, paper products like napkins and plates, toilet articles like deodorant, soap, shampoo, makeup stuff - a small amount of clothing like socks, T-shirts, flip-flops - greeting cards - You would not have to do a survey if you asked "Did you find everything  you wanted ?" when shoppers left without buying or when they purchase something.  Lets say someone comes in for some pens - I bet they leave with at least one other item even if it is gum or chips or a candy bar.  I wish I had some $$$$$ cause I sure could talk myself into a Dollar Store franchise near the square.  :laugh:

City hall has EVERYTHING to do with IT.  They should PROMOTE legitimate and needed businesses downtown - IT IS THERE J-O-B.
Not just bars and restaurants or even apartments.  In order to be prosperous you MUST show people and encourage business growth and development.  THEY NEED to approach "Dollar General" and make a win win deal.  After all the city gets 2 and 3/4% for every Dollar a person earns, they can offer abatement and grants and loans Oh My abatemen and grants and loans Oh My  :laugh:
I think that is what City Hall has to do with IT (development - moving forward toward commercial improvement, promoting ITSELF, JOB CREATION ------ CITY HALL needs to do what they did with the old V & R Steel (? is that what it was - I can't recall the name NOW  :( ) But of course in a smaller way - but none the less take SOME action - UGH thanks for listening  :-*
that

Towntalk

No question about the fact that we will never see a full service department store downtown, but I would like to point out that in Sharon The Winner is successful.

If we were able to get a Family Dollar store downtown like the one in the Union Square Plaza it would be a start. The Union Square Family Dollar not only has the usual discount items,but it also has a grocery department that takes up a third of the store, and it this were coupled with a Big Lots, other small retailers might also come.

By locating a Family dollar at one end of West Federal Street and a Big Lots at the other end of West Federal Street, they could serve as anchors, and with the proper promotion , it might just work..

Since most folks who shop at the two stores don't buy large purchases, there should be no traffic problem.

Lyndz

this article is old but i think it shows a nationwide trend with departments stores in Downtowns.... we would all love to see them, but the article brings up a point about parking, people want to park infront of the store and shop. In downtown Youngstown people want to park to grab a drink or a meal. The more people who live downtown the more appealing it will be to the department store. http://www.jsonline.com/business/downtown-boston-store-bucks-nationwide-trend-f73el2t-135840243.html

Towntalk

Towntalk

Found this photo showing the Woolworth store in the 1950's.

Towntalk

Promote it.

Rick Rowlands

What does city hall have to do with it?  If its permitted by zoning then go lease a storefront, get the permits and build away!