News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Farmers' Market Observations

Started by jay, August 13, 2013, 03:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on August 15, 2013, 08:15:35 AM
People like Mr. Humphries and myself do not look at the Mahoning valley as Youngstown vs. the suburbs as apparently a few people on this forum do. I see it all the time here, this bias against anything that comes from outside of the city, and even outside of downtown. There really is no need for it as we are all in this together.

Get a job you hippie! ;D

Seriously, it's an admirable position to take.  But it doesn't seem rooted in reality--at least locally.  If some of us have an anti-suburban bias, it is only in reaction to the anti-city bias that is so prevalent in the area.

I try to keep my anti-suburban bias in check, at least in Mahoning County, because of the WRTA sales tax, though.

Quote from: Towntalk on August 15, 2013, 09:00:44 AM
Where do they have their lunches? Don't they patronize the downtown restaurants at lunch time, and don't they patronize the downtown banks on payday?

If they are like my co-workers, they pack their lunch, and bank at a drive-thru near their home. ::)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Where do they have their lunches? Don't they patronize the downtown restaurants at lunch time, and don't they patronize the downtown banks on payday?

jay

Then there's those who drive in from the suburbs but won't drop a dime here.

Someone reminded me that city hall workers are another group that won't patronize the market.

Towntalk

I agree with you Rick. I've got nothing against businesses inside the city, but I shop only where I can get the biggest bang for my dollars, and all but one happen to be in Liberty.
When I do shop for groceries I shop for the month, and when I need other things, I work them into my grocery shopping trip, and all of the stores I shop at are in Liberty on the Belmont strip, and can get everything done in a single morning.
I do not rush off to every new store that opens to do feel good shopping. And the shopping trips I make each month take no more than three hours.

Rick Rowlands

People like Mr. Humphries and myself do not look at the Mahoning valley as Youngstown vs. the suburbs as apparently a few people on this forum do. I see it all the time here, this bias against anything that comes from outside of the city, and even outside of downtown. There really is no need for it as we are all in this together.

Towntalk

Aren't you folks being a wee bit harsh about Mr. Humphries?
If I buy fresh produce, I want to get it home as soon as possable and put it in the frig and not let it sit around all day.

Billy Mumphrey

Maybe when Mr. Humphries sees the vendors under a canopy tent he mistakes them for Occupy Youngstown folks?

Rick Rowlands

Whatever happened to people having the freedom to purchase or not purchase whatever they please whenever they want?  So he doesn't buy at the farmers market. Big deal.  I wouldn't buy at the farmers market either, and that is because my wife does the food buying and we buy at Giant Eagle, a farmers stand out on 193 or at White House. 

kenneyjoe330

Hay People - WHERE'S THE SHAME  ??? - What has "The Farmers Market" ever done for The C H A M B E R  huh  ??? HUH  ???
HUH  ???  Come on now don't hold back - What have they ever done for them  :o  And you expect something  :laugh: for nothing yet.
:laugh: They don't even see you  ;D ;D ;D  You don't have enough "green stuff" for them  ;D ;D ;D

Hay do you think they know about the 30 mile meal ! ! !  Do they support it ?   Was it their idea  ???

joly1584

Could it be they choose to support a farmers market that is set up closer to where they live?  Or like some friends of mine who belong to a fresh food co-op and choose to get their fresh produce from there and not downtown?  Or maybe they just go out to eat all the time?

I do purchase from the downtown farmers market because it is more convenient for me.

Towntalk

Oh me, oh my, the shame of it all.

iwasthere

the chamber talks on both sides of their mouths when it comes supporting businesses that will only benefit for them. the call ctr workers must watch their pennies because they canbe unemployed at moments notice that is my opinion.

Billy Mumphrey

I find it funny that Chamber Director Mr. Humphries always remarks that he supports business by siding with SB5 and the oil and gas fracking companies, yet weekly I see him walk right through the farmers market and not purchase a thing. For shame Mr. Humphries!

jay

Vendors at the Downtown Farmers' Market have made some observations over the last few month. 

People who work for VXI never purchase anything.

People who work for the Chamber never purchase anything even though the market is right outside their office building's front door.