News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

WEST SIDE FREE GIVEAWAY EVENT

Started by Towntalk, April 17, 2013, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I sure hope that the city says NO to putting stuff on the sidewalk area. This is a gross insult to all the hard efforts of the groups in that are trying to do to beautify that area. Sure hope that the 4th ward councilman rides tough on this junk shop. Outfits like this belong on Wilson Avenue.

jay

Now I've heard the business is moving to the former Lorco location.  That's on the north side of Mahoning in the first block west of Steel Street.

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on April 17, 2013, 09:44:04 PM
Doesn't the Hostess building have a nice parking lot for the overflow stuff?

You're right that it wouldn't impede the public right of way, but it wouldn't look any better, either.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

Doesn't the Hostess building have a nice parking lot for the overflow stuff?

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on April 17, 2013, 08:41:19 PM
The problem that many people have with this business is that they place a lot of the items if front of the building on/near the public sidewalk.

I agree.  It looks like a giant garage sale, when they're open.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The problem that many people have with this business is that they place a lot of the items if front of the building on/near the public sidewalk.

northside lurker

I'm sorry I'll have to miss this.  On the few occasions I've been able to wander through, they had a few interesting (at least to me) items mixed in with the junk.

Some examples I remember were: rotary dial phones, a typewriter from the 30's or 40's, a gas stove from the 20's or 30's, lots of old records (72s, 45s, and 33.3s) etc.  I bought a reel mower for $10 from there.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Would you rather the building stood empty and vandalized? There is little or no hope that some other company will buy the building and use it as an outlet store for a bakery, so whoever has the cash to buy it can use it for whatever. Remember, we have absolutely no say since it's not our money.

Before we go off on a tangent though, it's better to wait and see just where the second hand store is actually going to relocate. It might not even be the Hostess building.

jay

I hope the Hostess Building is not the new location.

This business has to quit placing sales merchandise on the sidewalk in front of the store.

Towntalk

West Side Thrift Store Holds Giveaway        
Schultes Thrift Yard on Mahoning Avenue in Youngstown is moving down the street to a bigger location. But instead of paying to move current inventory, the owner decided to give away most of what remains in the old place.
"I've got kid's bikes, dresses, playpens, chairs, some tools, paint, shelving, televisions, chests and drawers, video tapes," said Shulte. "Pretty much everything I have here is free."
Schulte's giveaway will take place during regular business hours Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.