News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Iron Soup In The News

Started by Towntalk, March 07, 2013, 06:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

I hear Iron Soup is going to be on Louie free.

Youngstownshrimp

The idea and plan of Iron Soup giving a shout out to the two major billion dollar companies(Hilcorp /NiSource) developing in eastern Mahoning and Campbell is a brilliant one and should have been designed by the Campbell leadership.  The raw ingredients that make for a great fit for all concerned parties are:
1.  The 29 units that Iron Soup have title to are free and clear with no debt (some taxes,but     insignificant).  Most of the investment is in.... and zeroed out, new investment will be only for renovations and will be more cost effective than new construction.
2.  Hilcorp and NiSource are just in the beginning in massive drilling and pipelines, bringing a rush of blue collar workers into the area.  The YS&T housing are designed for these type workers albeit the units need upgraded.  Both energy companies are in need of housing.
3.  Community historic preservation will be international news and reward.  Hilcorp and NiSourse will be leaders in this endeavor as well as propelled into the spotlight of what oil and gas companies can do in their develoment communities.

kenneyjoe330

AMEN and God bless your hard work and dedication ! ! !

iwasthere

Tim you are a true historical preservationist at hrt that not only does the talk but does the walk. i wish you well in your endeavors.

Tim Sokoloff

Thank you Towntalk for your words of encouragement. Within the next 60 days three new units will be rented out and plans to start on our next three easy renovations will begin. If we had any actual funding we could litereally bring one unit a week online at least. We have plenty of people that are talented and ready to work but are struggling to take odd jobs and even donate plasma just to make ends meet. Some of them have volunteered a little of their spare time occasionally in order to bring us this far.
I think that everone is right in regards to the revival of our economy thanks to the oil and gas industries in our area and it is a long and waited time coming for some good to come to our valley. The Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company Homes once housed the workers that built our community up to what it was, wouldn't it be great to have them house the workers that we rebuild this area.

Thanks you also Youngstownshrimp for all your help. People can question others motivations and methods all they want but I know you are truly in favor of economic prosperity for our valley.
Lastly let us not forget that we have a book full of dead solid proof that historical sites create jobs, stimulate the economy, promote tourism, produce tax revenues, improve community spirit and reputation, and that is just for starters. Restoring a historic site to promote an area's ecomonic well being is a buisness model THAT WORKS, Period, and I know that if the folks in the many places on our list of examples can do it, so can we.
Everyone thinks that the Company Homes are a crime ridden, drug infested eyesore that is full of thugs and thieves and that is just a plain bold faced lie. First off, there are 75% vacant and I know that the overwhelming majority of the remaining residents are not thieves, thugs or drug dealers. What we have is a bunch of empty concrete shells just waiting to be revived to house the workers that will rebuild our valley.

I believe that in the end there will be many people in this valley that will be very glad that Iron Soup Historical, its board of directors, collaborators and supporters fought to save our National Historic Site, once they begin to do the research and numbers and realize that you can walk past an uncut, unpolished diamond, ruby, emerald etc. and without the knowledge to know better simply say oh its just an ugly rock and pass by a gem that could be priceless.
Let's not let a lack of knowledge cause us to cast aside our diamond in the ruff. If these other towns prospered and excelled because they took the initiative to embrace and not destroy their history, I know that we certainly can.
Thank you all friends of Iron Soup Historical for all your kind words, help, support, time, donations, considerations and thoughts. We could not do this without you. God bless.
Respectfully
Tim Sokoloff
President/chairman
Iron Soup Historical Preservation Company

Youngstownshrimp

The business journal has a more concise article about the company homes. 
Could someone link it to this site, I am not good with linking.

Towntalk

As you well know, I have a keen interest in Youngstown's history, and am a champion of it's future including the possability of our city becoming a natural gas center, but defer comments to those who are more knowledgable than myself. As Rick can confirm, Youngstown was a major steel center, and if what I read and hear can come about, it can become a major center for natural gas, bringing more jobs to our area which to my way of thinking is a plus.

Youngstownshrimp

TT,
If you are interested in what is going on in our very own energy evolution, please go to
GoMarcellusshale.com    Unbelievable information on our region.

Towntalk

Thanks Ron. I realize that Tim is busy, but I sure miss his updates.

Youngstownshrimp

TT,
Of the 29 units that Iron soup now owns free and clear, about four are occupied with the minimum renovations.  Again, if Hilcorp and Nisourse would invest into the units, appropriate renovation can be accomplished and the historic homes would be recycled.

Towntalk

How many units are move in ready?

Youngstownshrimp

Iron Soup has demonstrated a great idea to do a shout out to Hilcorp and NiSource, the two major energy companies developing pipelines and compressor plants in eastern Mahoning county, to invest in recycling the historic company homes.  The historic homes were built by the steel mill companies when workers were flowing into the Mahoning valley.  Today workers are flowing once more into the Valley to work in the oil fields and will need housing.  Rather than build new domiciles, recycle these historic ones, everyone wins.

Towntalk

Photo

Towntalk