News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Local food system called 30 mile meal-lake to river now in valley

Started by Billy Mumphrey, February 22, 2013, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Note: This is not meant to be a put down.

In noting the variety of produce available at our local farm markets, the variety is skimp, and many varieties of vegetables are only available at local supermarkets, so it would be hoped that this new project would result in bigger choices in produce at a reasonable price.

I keep stocked up on such items as cucumbers, red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers, celery, Romain and iceburg lettuce, red onions, yellow onions, sweet onions, for salads, endive, cabbage, garlic, and parsnips, and would happily buy them from the Northside Farmers Market if they could have them in stock on a regular basis at a better price than I pay at the supermarket.

iwasthere

call catullo's meats for verification concerning their meats.

Towntalk

For those who do not have access to farm co-ops, it would help if there was a universal symbol sticker on Ohio grown produce. A number of local supermarkets do carry Ohio grown produce along with out of state produce, and while their ads say "Ohio grown" or "Locally grown", you can't be absolutely sure that this is correct.

As for meat products, does anyone know of local markets that carry Ohio raised meat?

There is a market that not only carries Ohio grown produce, but also sells Ohio raised meat ... Whitehouse Fruit Farm, but because of its location, it's hard to get to if you do not drive. They do though have a great store that carries all sorts of products grown and raised here in Ohio.

Billy Mumphrey

Fun Local Foods Fact: If Ohio residents purchased only 15% of the foods they eat at home directly from OH farmers (& farmers co-ops) , the result would be in $2.5 billion of new farm income for the state (>33% more than what farmers get from fickle commodity markets.

Towntalk

Great concept. I know that the store I deal at sells locally grown produce in season and would love to see our restaurants doing more of this ... specially the west side restaurants.