News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Watch Those Grocery Store Scanners

Started by jay, August 18, 2012, 09:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

What I do is make up a shopping list based on the ad flyers and past regester receipts to plan my shopping and know just how much my bill should be and try not to go over the total amount.

An example ... in the deli I ask for a specific dollar amount. When I go to the service meats again I ask for a specific dollar amount so that I can know in advance what my grocery bill should be.

If at the checkout the total comes to more than what I planned for some things are going to stay in the store but knock on wood that doesn't happen very often and I usually come out spending less than what I budgeted for.

iwasthere

Quote from: irishbobcat on August 18, 2012, 11:56:04 PM
damn that entertainment committee....they are always up to no good......
yep, we in the know this grp is always up to no good when it comes to their nameing their own prices.

Why?Town

I did 90% of the shopping for my family when I was laid off for two years. I shopped at several stores to get the lowest prices on as much as possible, something that takes more time than it's worth when both parents are working full time and running two kids here, there and back again.

Anyway, I found Rulli Brothers to be the biggest offender in this area. Usually it was the scanned price issue (never had the same one twice though) but a couple of times my purchase from the deli or meat counter was mis-labeled. The first time I noticed the meat counter issue, I was already home and saw that I paid steak price per/pound for chicken wings. Ouch!

I also noticed that Walmart's "price per unit" isn't always computed using the correct package size, giving a false number on the shelf price sticker. Many times the number used for package size is larger than the actual package which falsely brings the price per unit down.  I believe this is done on purpose because I have never seen the price per unit being shown higher than it actually is. FWIW the math is always correct just done with bad numbers.

our2cents

I always have my calc and my shopping list.  When something is obviously a different price, I mark it down.  The rest is the usual stuff that rarely changes...and when it does everyone knows...like milk.

irishbobcat

damn that entertainment committee....they are always up to no good......

Towntalk

Question ... You're shopping for your weekly groceries at a supermarket. Since the stores no longer place price tags on 95% of the items, but place prices on the shelves, how do you keep track of them when you get to the checkout? I never see people with a pad in hand jotting down prices, or even using hand held calculators as they select their groceries.

iwasthere

i would put the blame on the ytown first nite entertainment committee.

our2cents

Always check your receipts.  I've had this happen many times over the years...and find it better to catch it right away.  I've had to ask for refunds on several dollars at a time before.

Towntalk

Thanks for the heads up Jay. I don't know what store you had this experience at, but it's good policy to check your receipt whenever you go shopping.

jay

Several weeks ago I purchased an item at a local grocery store.  When I arrived at home I discovered that the item was scanned at 70 cents higher than the price listed on the shelf. The next time I went to the store I showed the clerk my receipt and told her of the scanned price difference.  She then refunded my 70 cents.

This past week I purchased the same item at the same store and the problem occurred again.  I was charged 70 cents above the shelf price.  I immediately notified the clerk and got a refund.

The store had ample time to fix the alleged computer scanner problem but didn't.

I wonder just how many people were overcharged for this item and perhaps many other items every day of the week.

Watch the scanners in the checkout line.   :o