News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

House Strippers Are Refuse Haulers

Started by jay, November 22, 2011, 06:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Though I think the intentions are good, I don't agree with this legislation.  Those who are stealing materials from vacant structures are already going to scrap yards that look the other way, and IMO, they will continue to look the other way when the thieves don't have a refuse hauler license.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

I will NOT obtain a refuse hauler permit and I will continue hauling my own private property as is my right to do so.  It is not the government's business what I have in my truck or on my trailer as long as such truck or trailer complies with traffic safety laws.    Or maybe I'll just take my business outside of Youngstown! 

jay

jay

(Tentative definition)

Refuse

Rejected or discarded materials including, but not limited to, garbage, waste, rubbish, junk, trash, construction materials, tires and the like

aluminum siding, copper pipes, copper wiring, downspouts or gutters, doors, windows, hot water tanks, plumbing fixtures or other fixtures which had previously been part of or affixed to a structure

salvaged iron, steel, brass, copper, ferrous or nonferrous scrap metal, including, but not limited to aluminum, other base metals, and their compounds or combinations.

kenneyjoe330

Mr. Roland Sir !  I don't undersand - if I may quote you "Harvesting metals placed on the curb is called recycling and is considered a "green" activity".  If you are referring to "Harvesting" as people going around and taking the 'cream' of the recycling bins into their own cars or trucks - then you are quite wrong in referring to that as "green" activity - Sir - the technical term would be THEAFT or just plain stealing.  Any trash or recycleable material put at the curb automatically becomes the property of the company who has contract with the city or other authority of the district that the 'trash/recyclable' is within.  The material is their material to pick up otherwise it is theft period.

jay

Someone posed this question to the Council Safety Committee.
What if someone remodeled their kitchen and was taking the sink, pipe and other metals to a scrap yard?

The answer was basically that the homeowner could easily prove the materials were his by showing a copy of the building permit needed to do the remodeling.

The next statement was that most people do not take out a building permit to do their own small remodeling jobs.

Rick Rowlands

A private citizen who is transporting materials for his own private use or disposal is not a "refuse hauler".  A private citizen cannot be forced to obtain a license to haul his own property as long as that property is not considered by the EPA to be hazardous or regulated by state or federal law. 

What is the real intent of this proposed legislation?  Harvesting metals placed on the curb is called recycling and is considered a "green" activity.  Why would Youngstown city council be against recycling? 

Where did you find this info. on this proposed legislation?  I wish council would join the Internet age and post all pending legislation to the Internet where it can be read by the public, and provide email addresses for all council members so that we may provide our comments.

jay

Those guys who pick up scrap metal from the curb prior to trash collection would also need a refuse haulers license.  They would also have to prove where they got the metals.

jay

City Council will be considering legislation to redefine a refuse hauler to include anyone transporting materials for salvage.  This would hopefully now include those who strip materials from houses.  If you are caught transporting salvaged items and do not have a city refuse hauler license, then you are in trouble.