News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Scanner listening

Started by Mary, July 30, 2007, 08:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connie254

Its not unusual for that long of a wait from my experiences with YPD. I was involved in a hit and run, called it in on my cellphone, had witnesses and it took 3 hours for the police to show up, my car was towed in 30 minutes and I didn't call for it-they heard it on the scanner-legit business/associated with AAA. The witnesses stayed for 30 minutes but had to get back to work.
Try calling repeatedly for loud music coming from a house.  Made a total of 5 calls-each time a cop came after 2 hours,repeat EACH TIME. After the first time he came, he warned them he didn't want to come back -but he did 4 more times and each time I could hear him shout to turn down the music and they would not be warned again-they knew it was going to happen again and again.The onlt time I called and they came within a reasonable time was when the neighbor's teenager was shooting a BB gun off his front porch.  I played stupid and asked if it was legal. They came within 10 minutes but the kid saw them coming around the corner and took it inside before they pulled up.
And I still get sick and tired of seeing them put the lights and sirens on to get through traffic only to turn them off less than block away.

Micky

Were there reports of any witnesses actually seeing someone shooting out or breaking out the window?  And who reported seeing someone going through a locked door inside the post office to the 2nd floor?  Was that a worker trying to take cover after the glass was broken?

You're right - when it was determined that it was a hoax, the road cars should have been dismissed from the scene.  It's frightening to think that while all the cars were tied up at the post office, the criminals knowing that it was a hoax, could have been doing other dastardly deeds.

Oldmill

This is nothing new. In 1981 I was on my way to work in the city when an old pickup truck hit me on my motorcycle. granted all he did was sideswipe me and drag me around a corner tearing off a saddlebag . It took 2 hours for the cops to get there. The sad part was, myself and a witness got the license number and after a month and numerous phone calls to the traffic investigator I was told the vehicle was owned by an old reverend and there was nothing they could do. And people wonder why some people go nuts and do bad things

Towntalk

According to a Vindicator report  http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/289478170454946.php the call at the Post Office was a hoax that had the YPD and the Sheriff's Department tied up. Incredable. The city was left unprotected through all this nonsence.

No one can convince me that all that many police were needed. Just how many officers were involved, and suppose at that time a call came in that was an urgent life threatening emergency?

The Vindicator doesn't mention seeing a window that was allegedly shot out, and when this was determined not to have occurred, the commanding officer should have sent most of the cars back to their beat, or at least notified dispatch that cars were available for other calls.

Mary

I agree.
I heard calls that were a couple hours old (most were domestics)  that really bothered me also. One was a daughter calling in to say her mom was being abused (daughter sounded to be adult and WAS not at the home) it was 2 hours old. The women could be dead in two hours!!

Another was reports of shots fired with a description of the shooter and the gun...dispatcher could only get one car to respond and couldn't send that officer by himself.

We need more cops!
and better management of what we have!

Towntalk

This is absolutely intollarable, and no excuse from anyone can justify it. I would like to see the dispatchers log (1) to see when they got the call, and (2) what the cars were doing at the time. IF the cars were not busy on more important calls, or if a car could be pulled away for othr calls, then the turn commander should be made to account for his or her failures to see to it that there were cars available for response in a timely manner. 6 hours is totally unforgiveable by any standard.

Mary

As I was listening to the scanner this evening i heard something disturbing.

A officer was sent to a call and reported there was no crime that they could find. Disbatcher responded that the calls was 6 hours old and the cop replied well at least we don't have to write the report.

Now yes i understand the gun man at the Post Office is more important. However i heard this at 8 pm. That would mean that the call was from sometime around 2 pm. Which also means it went through two turns.

6 hours for a response from YPD? Insane.....