News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Streets

Started by Towntalk, December 19, 2007, 08:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Dutton's Alley named after Dr. Dutton, an early pioneer is located between S. Chestnut Street and Spring Commons. He came here soon after the village was established.

West Wick and East Wick was changed to Commerce by 1907 according to the Sanborn map that I have.

North Market became Wick Avenue at the same time.

According to the early maps in my collection Presque was only one block long, and none of the records I have can explain this one.

As far as East Bane, it was abandoned with the expansion of Republic Steel. railroad tracks were located there. The B&O had a freight depot there hence the tracks.

Basin Street ran north-south at the end of East Boardman. It and Canal Street in the same general area but connected to East Front serviced the Penn-Ohio Canal and there was a lock in the area.

By 1907 Mill Street was Oak Hill. The Mill Street name came from the Baldwin Flour Mill that was located in the area.

By the way, one of the Wick Family members had a home on what was then West Wick which would explain why the street was named after him. An even earlier map in my collection shows that the Wick family owned a big chunk of the downtown area in the early 1800's.

Water Street was only one block long and was the curve that linked Front Street with Spring Commons. In those early days this was a residential area and according to the early Sanborn maps the area didn't become commercial until the early 1900's. In fact, even West Front Street was residential up till the 1900's. This explains why an elementry school was located in the area.

The Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps are extremely interesting, especially the early ones that show Youngstown growing from a village to a city.

northside lurker

I looked for each of these using Google Maps and switching to "satellite" view.
Quote from: Towntalk on December 21, 2007, 09:36:05 PM
East Wick – West Wick = Commerce Street
Did they rename this to Commerce Street to reduce confusion with the Wick Ave. we all know today?
QuoteNorth Market Street = Wick Avenue between Federal and Commerce
Was this change related to the naming of Commerce Street?
QuoteWater Street = West Front Street between Spring Commons and where S. Chestnut Street is now
To me, it seems logical that that street had a separate name.
QuoteDowds Alley  = Between East Federal and East Boardman
There seems to be no trace of this left...
QuoteLloyd Alley = Between West Federal and West Boardman and now called Market Court Alley
Wasn't this (or a part of this) called Dutton's Alley?
QuoteEast Bane =Just past East Front Street
Was this sort of the equivalent of Emily Alley, but on the East side of Market?  According to Google, there is a "Freeman Ct" now at that location.
QuotePresque Isle  = Now part of South Avenue where it joins Watt Street
Again, having a separate street name seems more logical.  When I think of Commerce Street, I think of an east/west running street.  When I think of South Ave. I think of a north/south running street.  With that in mind, it doesn't make sense to say "continue straight on E. Commerce and continue onto South Ave.
QuoteBasin Street = Connects to Andrews Avenue at East Federal
Was this the section of E. Boardman St. that connects Andres Ave. to the east/west length of Boardman St.?
QuoteMill Street = Oak Hill
Do you know how long ago this change was made?  Hasn't Oak Hill been Oak Hill for a very long time?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

ANSWER:

NAME THAT STREET

Over the years street names have come and gone ... EXAMPLE: At one time Fifth Avenue between West Federal and Rayen was called Holmes.

Can you locate these downtown streets?

East Wick – West Wick = Commerce Street
North Market Street = Wick Avenue between Federal and Commerce
Water Street = West Front Street between Spring Commons and where S. Chestnut Street is now
Dowds Alley  = Between East Federal and East Boardman
Lloyd Alley = Between West Federal and West Boardman and now called Market Court Alley
East Bane =Just past East Front Street
Presque Isle  = Now part of South Avenue where it joins Watt Street
Basin Street = Connects to Andrews Avenue at East Federal
Mill Street = Oak Hill
Emily Alley = Between West Front and Hamelton

AllanY2525

Here's one to add to the list:

P. Ross Berry lived on Thomas Street

Thomas Street is now a part of Arlington Street (Ave?)

:)

Towntalk

When I moved to Youngstown, my Grandfather took me to Jays for some hot dogs. It was on the north-west corner of Federal and Chestnut. Besides it's hot dog stand, Jays was also a bar which would explain why they were careful about children. It was not a burlisque or "nite club". The original hot dogs were fantastic, the chili was out of this world. Unfortunately after the first owner died, and his sons took over, they couldn't quite come up to the hot dogs their father put together. They were good, but not as good as his.

As to the bar, it was popular with the mill workers, but in it's later years when it moved across the street  to the side where Powers is today so many down on their luck men frequented it that itlost its old time customers.

When Jays opened in the Phar-Mor Center they served better hot dogs, but couldn't hang on and had to close up.

northside lurker

Was the first Jay's at or near the corner of Chestnut and W. Federal? (next to Powers)  Another coworker was telling me that anyone of any age could go in and get their famous hot dogs in the front of this place.  But there was a line that kids couldn't cross, and Jay's became a bar (maybe burlesque???) beyond that line.  Is there truth to any of this?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Right you are on Emily Alley.

As for North Chestnut, that little street could tell some real stories.

From an early Vindicator:

The Salvation Army had sent some of its folks to that street to try to convert the prostitutes that had a house there one day, and while they were doing their thing, a man who was late for his train grabbed a horsedrawn cab and as they raced to the train station down North Chestnut, they sent the Salvation Army band scattering for their very lives. (This was back before cars. In those early days, North Chestnut had just opened all the way to West Federal and still had a number of homes on it.)

The street as I remember it back in the 1950's had a number of little shops, among them a news stand, an antique store, an interior decorator store, a radio repair shop, and a gas station.

northside lurker

Also, I think the last remaining block of Chestnut street will be renamed if it hasn't been renamed already.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

I think Emily Alley is/was one block south of Front Street.  My employer owns the parking there, and he calls it Emily Place for that reason.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

NAME THAT STREET

Over the years street names have come and gone ... EXAMPLE: At one time Fifth Avenue between West Federal and Rayen was called Holmes.

Can you locate these downtown streets?

East Wick – West Wick
North Market Street
Water Street
Dowds Alley
Lloyd Alley
East Bane
Presque Isle
Basin Street
Mill Street
Emily Alley