News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Oakland Fundraiser Has Helped

Started by jay, December 05, 2010, 07:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

If I'm going to be charitable enough to volunteer to help this group only to be told that I'd have to pay to see the show I'm working, I'd very quickly tell them where they could place their show. As to the sort of shows that they put on for Christmas, I wouldn't lift so much as a little finger to help them turn the holiday into a smutty free for all.

On the other hand the show at Powers is quite another matter, and one truely worthy of our support.

jay

My Opinion

The fundraiser show was originally squeezed between the scheduled performances of the other plays.

In addition to the special performance, these other added features take place.
Volunteers for the night have to also pay if they want to see the play.
A 50/50 raffle is held each night.
A basket raffle is also held with the tickets drawn on the night of the last show.

I view this almost like what is done for high school sports.  Gate ticket sales do not cover the entire cost of fielding a team.  The efforts of booster clubs are needed to raise that extra money needed to keep the program going.

Why?Town

That's great that their "fundraiser" is working out for them.

Now I have to ask...

How is a performing arts theatre putting on a show considered a fundraiser? Isn't putting on shows their main purpose?

jay

Five years ago the Oakland Center for the Arts was on the verge of closing for the winter to save money.  A unique fundraiser was devised to raise  the needed cash to pay the heating bills.  What started out as a single performace the first year, has now become a five show hit this year.  For example, the Saturday, December 4 performance was Sold Out.