News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Time To Clean Up Ohio's Lakes Is Now, Not Two Years From Now

Started by irishbobcat, September 04, 2010, 08:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Quote from: iwasthere on September 04, 2010, 01:30:16 PM
mr greenjeans is not a mean spirit name. i find it a compliment when some refers to me as favorite childhood character.

Just noting it was reported and struck out to indicate the detail.   The person reporting did not use the arrows available to  rate the article in a negative manner.

iwasthere

mr greenjeans is not a mean spirit name. i find it a compliment when some refers to me as favorite childhood character.

Towntalk

Could it be because this has been one of the hottest summers on record plus one of the driest?  ???

Why?Town

I may be wrong but I bet Ohio's farms have been spreading manure for the better part of two centuries, maybe longer. This leads me to believe that the actual problem is something else.

And let me ask you this, Mr. Greenjeans, What should farmers use instead of manure? Some man made chemicals maybe?

This post has been reported for name calling.
Post has been modified by Forum Manager.

irishbobcat

The Time To Clean Up Ohio's Lakes Is Now, Not Two Years From Now

This summer blue-green algae that has turned many of Ohio's lakes into toxic cesspools. The situation is so bad that state officials have issued "no contact" advisories for several lakes across the state - including Grand Lake St. Mary's, the state's largest inland lake. How did things get this way? In large part, because of runoff from the state's factory farms.
The toxic blue-green algae is thriving in part becuase of incredibly lax regulation that dictates when factory farmers can spread manure. Right now, the state allows manure spreading even in the winter when the ground is frozen. Because frozen soil can't absorb the manure, virtually all that waste ends up in Ohio's lakes and streams. Incredibly, the state recognizes this problem but is proposing to let these industrial livestock producers continue to spread manure on snow and frozen ground for two more years.

Ohio's lakes are already toxic. We don't have two years to wait while this problem gets worse. Tell Ted Strickland and the Department of Natural Resources to stop this destructive practice immediately so we can enjoy Ohio's lakes now!

Dennis S. Spisak-Green Party of Ohio Nominee for Governor

www.votespisak.org/governor

www.dennisspisak.com

For more info, contact 330-503-1407