News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Donwtown Youngstown Holiday Parade Dec. 5th 3pm w/ Tree Lighting

Started by Lynds, November 19, 2009, 03:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

I READ THE PARADE'S RULES AND THEY ARE STRICT WITH RULES WHEN IT COMES TO DECORATIONS. WILL A FLOAT BE DISQUALIFIED IF IT USES JEDO/MUSLIM RELIGIOUS THEME ACCORDING TO THE POSTED RULES THE PARADE OFFICIALS CAN DISQUALIFY THESE TYPES OF FLOATS.

john r. swierz

Back to the Parade, I am very pleased with the number of entrants to date. Please spread the word
   to every one you know to come on down and watch this great return of a downtown parade.
   Happy Thanksgiving to all!

northside lurker

Quote from: Lynds on November 25, 2009, 02:10:44 PM
I must have missed something in the Vindy

I don't think so.  I'm usually in a bad mood after spending too much time there. (usually because of the commenters, not because of the articles)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Lynds

northside lurker

Maybe Lynds just came over here from the Vindy site and, therefore, was in a bad mood?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

I'm guessing he read it in the rules posted here and then it came up in conversation? Don't be argumentative, where's your Christmas spirit?

Lynds

and another thing Jay, why are you going around telling businesses what they cant and cannot do in the parade?

Lynds

Quote from: jay on November 24, 2009, 03:53:57 PM
When I told a few downtown businesses that they were not allowed to hand out coupons or business flyers, they decided not to participate in the parade.

You are wrong Jay.

jay

john r. swierz

Jay, the passing of coupons only dealt with the parade entrants , not the store owners. The goal was not to have people getting out of line

Towntalk

This attitude is childish in the extreme.

These businesses get all sorts of free publicity all year long and to ask them not to hand out flyers and coupons at the Christmas Parade is not asking too much of them.

More than likely those flyers would end up as litter for others to clean up.

I for one applaud those responsible for the rule.

KEEP
CHRIST
IN
CHRISTMAS

jay

When I told a few downtown businesses that they were not allowed to hand out coupons or business flyers, they decided not to participate in the parade.

Lynds

1.  Registration will open at 1:30pm.  Parade route numbers will be given at the registration tent which will located on East Federal at Andrews Avenue.  The number assigned to your entry must be displayed on the left side of the unit, so the judges and announcers can identify the entry correctly.

2.  There will only be one live Santa Claus and he will be sanctioned by the Parade Committee.

3.  All entries must be clean and be decorated in accordance with the theme of the parade.  Parade officials will inspect all entries and reserve the right to eliminate any entry that is in violation of these rules.

4.  Music is limited to Holiday Music.  We welcome School Bands, Choirs, and Christmas Carolers. 

5.  Line-up will begin at 2:15pm and parade will step-off at 3:00pm.

6. The parade will begin at East Federal and Andrews Avenue.  Proceed west on East Federal to Central Square, turning left onto Market Street then left onto Front Street, ending at the Covelli Centre.

7.  The parade participants must abide by the ordinances, laws and regulations of the City of Youngstown.

8.  Consumption of alcoholic beverages / drugs by anyone is prohibited by law.

9.  Distribution of any form of literature, soliciting, or canvassing for funds are prohibited.  The only kind of item that may be distributed is candy or treats.

10. NOTHING MAY BE THROWN FROM MOVING ENTRIES BY ORDER OF THE YOUNGSTOWN POLICE DEPARTMENT.  Candy, treats, etc., may only be distributed by someone walking with the entry and staying close to the curb.

11. Each equestrian / animal unit must provide their own "scoopers" and must use them.  Units without scoopers will not be allowed to participate.

12.  All participating units must be registered with the Parade Committee.  All entries must be received no later than Tuesday, December 1, 2009.

13.  Excessive noise will not be permitted.  Violators will be asked to withdraw from the parade at any point.

14.  Reckless driving is expressly prohibited by order of Youngstown Police Department.  Spinning of tires and other such exhibitions will result in arrest of the driver.  If violator is part of a group, entire group is disqualified.

15. All units must continue to move along the parade route.

16. Traffic control personnel, authorized by the Youngstown Police Department, will be visible along the parade route and must be obeyed.

17. Judging will be done at the end of the parade route.  Judges' Stand will be located on Central Square.

18. Those who do not comply with these rules can be disqualified and / or removed from parade.

Lynds

Fax Registration to Lyndsey @330-742-8710 or email to lhughes@cityofyoungstownoh.com
PLEASE TYPE OR PRINT LEGIBLY

Group or Organization Name:  ______________________________  Contact: ________________________

Address: ___________________________________  City: _______________________  Zip: ___________

Daytime Phone: ___________________ Eve Phone: ___________________ FAX: ____________________

E-Mail: ___________________________________________________ # of Participants: ______________

Title of Parade Entry: _____________________________________________________________________

All entries will be judged in the following categories:

_____ Antique / Classic Car

_____ Motorcycle Club

_____ Equestrian / Animals

_____ Float Non-Profit Group

_____ Float Commercial

_____ Miscellaneous

_____ Marching Youth (18 or under)

_____ Marching Adult

_____ High School Band

PLEASE PRIVIDE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE ATTACHED FORM.

Waiver and Release:  I have received a copy of the Holiday Parade requirements, rules and regulations.  I agree to comply with all policies, rules and regulations governing participation in the Holiday Parade.  I further agree my organization / individual(s) shall hold harmless and indemnify the City of Youngstown and First Night® Youngstown, Inc. and their representatives, successors, agents and employees from any liabilities, injuries or damage of any kind including but not limited to attorney fees and other cost of responding to or defending acclaims to litigation which may occur from the organization / individuals participation in the parade.

________________     ______________________________________    ________________________________
Date                             Name of Organization                                            Signature of Authorized Person

Return to:  First Night® Youngstown            Form can be faxed to 330-744-9966.
             100 Federal Plaza East / Suite 150
             Youngstown OH 44503

Questions:  Call John R. Swierz at 330-788-5114 or Lyndsey Hughes at 330-742-8710. 

Lynds

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lyndsey A. Hughes
City of Youngstown
330-742-8710 Office 330-402-4800 Cell 330-742-8707 Fax
lhughes@cityofyoungstownoh.com

Sandra Cika
Director of Marketing
First Night© Youngstown
202 297 0362 / scika@designwithinsite.com
www.firstnightyoungstown.org

The City of Youngstown and First Night© Youngstown revive the Downtown Youngstown Holiday Parade Saturday December 5th 3pm.

YOUNGSTOWN – After more then 15 years of a tradition lost, The City of Youngstown and First Night© Youngstown are proud to announce the revival of the Downtown Youngstown Holiday Parade and Tree Lighting Saturday, December 5th at 3pm in Downtown Youngstown.  The Holiday Parade will include vehicles from  local Fire and Police departments, Elected Officials, Local Community Organizations, Theaters, Businesses, and last but not least an appearance from Santa! Following the Parade will be the Annual Downtown Youngstown Tree Lighting Ceremony on Central Square.

The Downtown Youngstown Parade is remembered by many as being a magical place that they were taken to as kids to watch the floats, to window shop and to enjoy the music and lights. With 2010 upon us the City of Youngstown and First Night© want to see that the Parade returns and remains a traditional family event that allows the community to celebrate in unity the success and progression that Youngstown, Downtown Youngstown has made over the years. Central Downtown Youngstown has been opened up, cleaned out, renovated, and is everyday developing with new and expanding businesses, new Downtown living apartments, and entertainment at the Covelli Centre as well as at over 7 bars and restaurant on any given day. The City of Youngstown has grown and is a place we all should be proud of. Join First Night© Youngstown and Downtown Youngstown in celebrating the season.

To participate in the Parade you must call or email either Lyndsey or Sandra for a registration form. While registration is FREE we do require all participants to fill out and return the registration before December 1st, 2009.   *see registration form attached. 

*2009 HOLIDAY PARADE AND TREE LIGHTING*
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 5TH 3PM
DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN

(thank you Mark Peyko and the Metro-Monthly for the picture)