News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Tod Engine Foundation Becomes Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation

Started by Rick Rowlands, November 16, 2009, 01:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Here are some photos of US Steel switchers, but none from the Ohio Works are listed.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/uss/uss.html

However, they do exist among my network of friends so I'll find some and post them.

Do you remember seeing this hot metal car at the Ohio Works?  This one is ours too if we can raise the money to move it up here.

TommyDawg

Excellent, thanks!   Good luck with all your endeavors.

Tom

ps: If anyone does have any photos of the US Steel switchers, please let me know.

Rick Rowlands

Due to the turning radius of the locomotive the best it can do is pretty much a straight line across the property.  But that really would work out nice as the track could be laid from our property right behind the first set of ponds. 

A detailed history of the locomotive can be found here:
http://www.todengine.org/6114B

Youngstownshrimp

Wow!  nice machinery, I'll stop by tuesday.  Rick I was thinking about if you are serious about giving rides on that thing, why don't we lay the track around the ponds.  Yesterday I had a meeting with Geothermal at the demolition school site  in the southside, they want to test the soil on Hubbard road.  If the soil is compactible under their standards, they are going to position three trackhoes there and build the ponds for the dirt.  They need the dirt to fill the basement of the school they demo'd.  Who would've known?  I guess if you wake up every morning and move a little , for every action their is a counteraction.

TommyDawg

Rick,

What is the history of that locomotive ?

It looks similar to the ones used at the Ohio Works of USS. I'm kicking myself
because I didn't get any photos of them when I worked there. ( 43" rolling mill
and soaking pits).

Tom

Rick Rowlands

Tuesday is the moving day.  I'm preparing a news release to go out to all the local media outlets.  Hopefully we can get some additional news coverage for this move.  It will be hauled in two truck loads, with a crane doing the loading and unloading.

Youngstownshrimp

Rick when is the locomotive coming?  About the rails, they are in Lowellville and you need to see these antique RR signs, you can literally climb up to change the old signs, they have ladders attached to them. they are about 18' tall.

irishbobcat

Rick Rowlands

irishbobcat

Did you get permission to use the old Sheet and Tube logo??????

Still might belong to somebody............legally......

Rick Rowlands

On November 22, 2009 the Tod Engine Foundation will become the Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation. The new name better describes our mission of preserving the steel industry heritage of the Youngstown steelmaking district which includes both the Mahoning and Shenango Valleys. Our primary function will continue to be the construction and operation of the Tod Engine Heritage Park, however other projects are in the works including instituting memberships, publication of a quarterly journal featuring articles about Youngstown district steelmaking history and steel preservation around the world, and of course working to educate the public about the dynamic history of steelmaking in the Youngstown district.

For our new logo we are using the former "Youngstown Steel" ladle and arrow mark which was developed by the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company. This mark once represented high quality steel products manufactured by YS&T, now it represents the preservation of all of our steelmaking heritage.

The officers of the Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation include: Rick Rowlands President, Zara Rowlands Secretary and Rich Rees Treasurer. The board of directors include: Rick Rowlands, David Tod II, Dr. Thomas E. Leary, Ken Izzo and Chris Dawson.
New bylaws are being drafted and we expect to have a new website up and running and begin a membership drive by the end of the year.