News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Jobs loss nears 10%

Started by Towntalk, October 02, 2009, 09:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Is government subsidies really "thinking outside the box"?  That is certainly "inside the box" thinking, as its been done over and over again with mediocre results.  We did the subsidies to the auto industry with cash for clunkers and now the car sales are off 40 to 50%.  Way to go!!

Also, with a state budget that already has been cut to the bone, where are these subsidies going to come from?  You really don't care about answering that question iwasthere.  You just think the money will magically appear.  That shows a stunning ignorance of the principles of capitalism. 

I have a book here called the Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism.  I'll loan it out to anyone on this forum to read if they truly want to learn how capitalism works.  Perhaps by educating our educators we can finally stamp out the ignorance that runs rampant on this forum.

iwasthere

no one knows what jobs are eliminated or created through the green jobs incentives that are being toted by the dems but it is a step in the right direction for the future.

Why?Town

Green jobs won't happen at the expense of other jobs if they come at a natural pace.

It's the legislative mandates to go green prematurely that is/ will be the problem.

sfc_oliver

No one opposes Green jobs, or any jobs, except maybe Dennis, I'm sure he would fight any jobs in the coal or nuclear energy fields. But to me a job is a job. My only comment on green jobs is that they will not replace all the jobs they will force us to lose.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

For my part, and I only speak for myself, I don't object to any kind of new jobs whether green or any other.

Recall the jobs that were created in the high tech field? There were naysayers then. Granted that when the bubble burst many lost their jobs, but still it's a field that can work hand in hand with green jobs.

iwasthere

we as Ohioans must start somewhere to end the jobs drainage from Ohio? investments/subsized call it what  you want but we have think outside of the box on this one. this question is directed to individuals that opposes greenjobs what are your suggestions?

Towntalk

263,000 jobs in September were lost ... 263,000 Americans are scrambling to feed and cloth their families and pay their bills here and now.

Please tell me how green industries are going to absorb 263,000 workers before Christmas?

We know that some time in the next 15 to 20 years there may be thousands of green jobs but how is that to help these 263,000 workers today?

What will you say to your neighbors who will find themselves heading to the Unemployment office?

How will you convince those unemployed neighbors that they should pay more property taxes to support Struthers Schools when they face losing their homes?

ytowner

Quote from: irishbobcat on October 02, 2009, 02:21:35 PM
The Green Jobs are going to other states where state leaders see their value, unlike the leaders we have here in Ohio..........
Strickland is the closest thing you will get to green in this state... KASICH 2010!

Rick Rowlands

What is so special about green industries that government has to be involved?  Is the reason because they won't make a dime unless they are massively subsidized by government?  Oh I'm sorry, the current code word is "investment".   If there was a way to make money with going green let me assure you green businesses would be sprouting up everywhere.

irishbobcat

The Green Jobs are going to other states where state leaders see their value, unlike the leaders we have here in Ohio..........

sfc_oliver

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Where are the Green jobs when we need them, and more to the point where are the people with money to invest in new companies?

"The American economy lost 263,000 jobs in September — far more than expected — and the unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent, the government reported on Friday, dimming prospects of any meaningful job growth by the end of the year."

"Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research: "We've lost trillions of dollars in housing wealth, and consumption's going to be weak. It's not the '30s, but there's really nothing to boost the economy."

Jobless Report Is Worse Than Expected; Rate Rises to 9.8%

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/business/economy/03jobs.html?_r=1&hp