News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

When Time Is Money

Started by jay, January 29, 2022, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Another Cashier Observation

Not sure how the checkout scale works

I was in a grocery store checkout line today.   The woman in front of me was in the process of having her groceries scanned and bagged.  At one point the cashier placed a bunch of bananas on the scale in front of the scanner.  Perhaps unknown to her, the conveyor belt slid a candy bar onto the edge of the scale.  Did the customer pay for the weight of the bananas plus the weight of the candy bar?

jay

Cashier almost makes a mistake in my favor

I purchased some bulk items in a small store recently.  The food items were placed in a paper bag.  The cashier weighed my purchase and marked $12.23 on the bag.  I handed her a $20 bill.  She placed the bill on the edge of the cash register and began to give me my change.  I noticed she had a 10 dollar bill, some ones and coins in her hand.  A moment later she realized she was about to give me $12.23 (the purchase price written on the bag).

???

Why?Town

I'll give her some credit on this one.

Credit for realizing that the guy she wanted to rip off was looking much too intelligent to mess with.

Or maybe you look much too intimidating. Either way she gets credit for quickly correcting herself.

jay

Another Cashier Story

Toward the end of last week, I made a purchase at the counter of a fast-food restaurant.

My meal purchase came to about $6.35.  The cashier tapped the computer screen and then said, "that will be 16.35".  She immediately realized her verbal mistake.

Why?Town

Whenever I look for the time and/or date on anything printed like that it's not easy to locate. It could be just about anywhere, at the top, at the bottom, 1/3 of the way down, 1/4 of the way up, or somewhere in between. It always takes me at least a minute and requires great lighting and really clean glasses. At least I never had to look on the back side.

Due to all that and the fact that she found it, I'm pretty sure that her eyes are perfectly fine.  Maybe she just hoped that you, and possibly everyone ever checking out doesn't notice her so-called mistakes.

Hopefully I'm wrong about that. I imagine she looks decent enough to work in a restaurant but there is always more to any story. Is English her first language? Does she know how to read? Can she do simple math?

OOPs maybe I should have started out by asking if maybe that was her first day working the register. I probably should have asked that first but the way things are these days, how can we even be sure she is really a "she"?

jay

I went out for supper today.  When I finished my meal, the waitress handed me my bill.  It amounted to $13 +.

When I went to the register to pay, the cashier said, "that will be $18.35".  I already had $15 in my hand to give her, so I wondered how I missed the actual cost of the meal.

Here is what happened.

The cashier obviously couldn't see well.  She thought the time stamped on the register receipt (18:35) was the price of my supper.
The matter was resolved in a few seconds.  I encouraged her to get an eye exam.

:o