News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Brink of Depression? Fastest Consumer Price Drop Since 1932

Started by irishbobcat, December 28, 2008, 09:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

What about a visit to one of our national parks, or Washington DC or Williamsburg, Va.?

If it is extraviagant to visit these wonderful places (our national parks) what's the sense of having them?

Mary

irishbobcat

I keep reading where Rite-Aid will go out of business in 2009..........

How many shops are starting to close on 224?   Value City?  Linen n things?

Time to buy local? They might be the only places left?

Dennis Spisak
Mahoning Valley Greens
Ohio Green Party.....

Oldmill

First , more than 1 person actually runs this country. I'm not a Bush fan but he alone is not to blame. Is being stupid a crime ? Who was responsible for the sub prime mortgage mess ? Who has been manipulating the markets ? Who made off with billions in the biggest investment fraud in history ? The main stream media hasn't reported the latest, Marc Dreier, an attorney at law who comes in with his looting of $380 Million! read it here   http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=aU2wrsZKcjOA&refer=home

No , not just 1 person but a multitude of Greedy filthy parasites. In my opinion, they should be tried and when convicted they should be publicly executed for the world to see !  Don't wonder why other countries see America in a bad light , Its not hard to see at all. I love this land but our government needs to go. To bad the sheep that reside here are to engrossed in the almighty dollar and materialism.  2009 is going to be very interesting.

jay

While driving through the city the other night, I didn't notice the lights on at several businesses.  How many businesses have recently closed on your side of town?

irishbobcat

A Cruise, trip to hawaii, trip to vegas for a week? Trip to europe?

Towntalk

Dennis, I can agree with 75% of this article, but one statement puzzles me: "let alone take an extravagant vacation." What in your mind constitutes "an extravagant vacation."?

irishbobcat

Brink of Depression? Fastest Consumer Price Drop Since 1932
Written by Jennifer Lance
No longer do we need to look to history books and grandparents to know what the darkest days of the Great Depression were like:  we are there if consumer prices are any indication.
In November 2008, consumer prices fell to their lowest in 76 years. Will the Bush Depression be worse than the Great Depression?

1932 is considered the bottom point of the Great Depression:
Though the U.S. economy had gone into depression six months earlier, the Great Depression may be said to have begun with a catastrophic collapse of stock-market prices on the New York Stock Exchange in October 1929. During the next three years stock prices in the United States continued to fall, until by late 1932 they had dropped to only about 20 percent of their value in 1929...The failure of so many banks, combined with a general and nationwide loss of confidence in the economy, led to much-reduced levels of spending and demand and hence of production, thus aggravating the downward spiral. The result was drastically falling output and drastically rising unemployment; by 1932, U.S. manufacturing output had fallen to 54 percent of its 1929 level, and unemployment had risen to between 12 and 15 million workers, or 25-30 percent of the work force.
Have we reached the bottom of this economic depression or is the worse still to come?  Mike Schenk, an economist for Credit Union National Association, expressed his economic concerns, "This is scary stuff.  We are teetering on the brink of a massive downward spiral. Deflation is a threat."
Gasoline prices have seen the sharpest decline as they plunged by 29.5% in November, the greatest drop since the government began keeping records in 1967.
Energy, the airline industry, and commodities have been the hardest hit by plummeting prices.  In contrast, medical, food, and housing prices rose slightly last month.
On one level, I am glad prices are dropping to a more affordable level for Americans, especially the unemployed or those who have received pay reductions.  On the other hand, I worry what the reduction in prices will do towards the sustainability movement. For the employed, lower plane tickets and cheaper gas prices may encourage behaviors that increase carbon output.  Slate explains:
History shows that significant declines in U.S. oil consumption occur only after prolonged periods of high prices. Over the last two decades, U.S. consumers have been spoiled by low fuel prices. And those lower prices led to a buying binge that put millions of giant SUVs, pickups, and other gas guzzlers on our roads.
We've experienced the decline in oil consumption that resulted from $4.00 a gallon gasoline.  Americans began to carpool, ride mass transit, bike, etc.  Now that oil prices have dropped significantly, will oil consumption increase?  If we really are in the darkest days of the Bush Depression, the economy should take care of these concerns. The average Americans can't afford to buy a new car, whether it is a hybrid or SUV. let alone take an extravagant vacation.  With the economic uncertainty facing this country, no one is immune from losing their job or facing a pay cut.
Happy New Year 2009?
Dennis Spisak
Mahoning Valley Green Party
Ohio Green Party
www.ohiogreens.org
www.votespisak.org/thinkgreen/