News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Which Movies Would You Like To See Downtown?

Started by jay, April 05, 2008, 09:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmo-Ytown

The Longest Day

Battle of the Bulge

Ghostbusters ( 1 and 2)

Jurassic Park

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Batman Begins

Defend Youngstown

Independant and classic film will be held each Wednesday evening begining mid-May at the Butler North (the church right next to the Butler). There is a possibility that Winslow's Cafe will be catering each movie night.

Outdoor film will be held Sunday evenings at B&O (along the river). There are still a few details that need hashing out such as the establishment of the sponor list, types of movies, as well as the idea of attaching additional entertainment such as a jazz band, etc. More to follow. In the meantime, volunteers as well as any and all suggestions are welcome (P.S. I thought a few movie suggestions below were fantastic).

Phil

Towntalk

It's too bad that a guild couldn't be organized around film festivals and find a long closed theater to show them at.

Is the old Schenley Theater building still on Mahoning Avenue?

If so, that would be a good site for showing independent and art films like the Cedar Lee in Cleveland.

As for outdoor films downtown, has a site been located?

Regarding the films I listed, all of which are in Cinerama foremat, given the size screen that would be needed (80 feet wide), the best location for them would be the Morley Pavilion in Mill Creek Park. I doubt that the younger generation has ever seen a feature film in this foremat since none of the theaters in Youngstown were equipped for Cinerama, although the old State Theater did show some in the 70 mm foremat.

Janko

"The Goonies" with live commenary by its screenplay writer Christopher Columbus (from Warren)
"I Will Shout Youngstown" documentary
"Double Indemnity" (1944)
"North by Northwest" or "the Rope" (hitchcock)

but especially...

"Some Like it Hot" with Monroe, Curtis, and Lemmon (or any Billy Wilder film such as "The Apartment" (1960)) would get a good mix of people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhdD5n405I

and if course, some independent garbage

jay

I would like to see the movie Fine-Tune.
finetunethemovie.com/on

This movie was shot in Youngstown and was produced/directed by a local resident, Chris Rutushin.

ytowner

Caddyshack.
Some comedy.
No independent garbage.

Towntalk

How The West Was Won (1962) - 3-strip Cinerama, although some sequences were filmed in Ultra Panavision 70
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) - filmed in Ultra Panavision 70, presented in 70 mm Cinerama
Circus World (1964) - filmed in Super Technirama 70, presented in 70 mm Cinerama
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) - filmed in Ultra Panavision 70; presented in 70 mm Cinerama
Battle of the Bulge (1965) - filmed in Ultra Panavision 70; presented in 70 mm Cinerama
Grand Prix (1966) - filmed in Super Panavision 70; presented in 70 mm Cinerama
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968 70 mm Cinerama

jay

Your Suggestions Are Needed   

Which type of movies would you like to see at an outdoor movie show in downtown Youngstown?
If you wish, list specific titles.