News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Very Big Gripe

Started by kitten44505, April 26, 2005, 03:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten44505

FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL
[/b][/u]

My problem did not originate here. A program I downloaded at CNET planted a program on my computer that not only diverted me away from site I was accessing, but started sending me tons of spam.

CNET said recently that they were doing more to police the programs that they make available for downloading.

The downside of it was that once I located the problem I found it and deleted it, but the spam is still coming in and in order to stop it, I would have to first open the spam then ask to be deleted from their list, so I'm just deleting all incoming mail except from a very small handfull of sources I trust.

The whole thing is a real bummer, as people email me from my web site, and I sometimes delete their messages in the process.

Lesson -- be very careful about what "free" software you download.

ForumManager

Hi all,
I assure you that no spyware is hidden anywhere on this site.
There are no pop ups on this site except the pop up window at the community calendar that shows the date's details.
manager

yfdgricker

Your welcome. Glad I could help you !

kitten44505

Problem solved. Thanks Greg.

kitten44505

Thanks for the tip.

I am going to be running SpyBot before I go to bed, and hopefully that will correct the problem.

yfdgricker

I'm not getting any kind of popups when I view this site.

It might be a problem on your end. You might want to try Microsoft's new Windows Antispyware. You can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/ under the popular downloads section. I've had some success getting rid of those nasty popups using it.

kitten44505

This site has a site "Internet Optomizer" that keeps popping up, and at the bottom states that it is part of ytownpc. It has been interfering with my posts today.