News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Christmas Question

Started by JoyceFarrell, December 13, 2016, 01:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyceFarrell

In years gone by, by now, I would have received a goodly collection of Christmas catalogs in the mail, and enjoyed fixing a large mug of hot chocolate and a dish of Christmas cookies, and pour over those books while Christmas music played in the background. It was an annual ritual that I looked forward to, and my favorite catalogs were the ones that had various specialty cheese and meats and 5 gallon cans of popcorn. I would send in my orders and when they arrived, I'd stash them away until Christmas Eve when I'd bring them out, and armed with Eggnog settle down to enjoy my collection of radio Christmas programs out of my childhood and youth.

Alas, I no longer get any mail order catalogs at Christmas time, so I have to get those treats at the super market, and for some reason it just isn't the same. The companies that made those Christmas collections of cheese and meats sprinkled them with Christmas magic of a sort that you simply can't find at Giant Eagle or Walmart. To be sure the store bought treats lasted longer, but it still wasn't the same.

A friend told me that the mail order catalogs are on line today, but for this old gal, it's not the same.

Oh well, I guess that there are certain things that I'll never get use to, so I'll just have to make do with second best. Merry Christmas 2016.