News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

FIRST NIGHT YOUNGSTOWN 2014/15

Started by Towntalk, December 28, 2014, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Now, can some kind soul tell me the name of that bloody "local newspaper?"

Towntalk

For all the grumbling here First Night Youngstown was a smashing success according to the local newspaper whose name slips my mind.  :laugh:

jay

The new downtown director sent out an extensive list of entertainment and New Year's Eve parties taking place in downtown Youngstown.

joly1584

Quote from: PD on December 30, 2014, 07:51:14 AM
Check out that website. Went to it yesterday and it said by early December the schedule and all the events would be posted
Its empty
The only thing i have heard is there will be fireworks at 9 and midnight
What time is the opening ceremony?  No wonder no one ever shows up to the opening
I will be down there with my wife having dinner just like every other year then Adios

The menu tab across the top has venues, performers, maps & schedules.  The only one not complete is the dining.  It has all been up for awhile now.

Towntalk

Response:
Please forgive me, I keep forgetting that this generation expects everything to be provided to them ABSOLUTELY FREE, and spoon fed to them by Nannys specially appointed for that task from out of the ranks of volunteers willing to sacrifice their time to be your personal baby sitters.

Towntalk

I know as an absolute fact that 99.99% of you folks do not sit down and diligently explore the pages of The Vindicator archives on Go ogle News, not that I blame you, but it's awfully strange that this "First Night" business in the grand scheme of things that stretch back in time and space to June of 1798 is but an infant so to speak, yet our forefathers managed to have a bang-up good time on New Years Eve with all sorts of places to go, and all sorts of things to do, and the entertainment page of the Vindicator were replete with ads concerning New Years Eve places to go, and the good people of Youngstown, yea all of the good people of our fair county were pleased a punch with what was provided. Dining, dancing, entertainment, movies it was all laid out for them to choose from. Oh well, what's the use of talking, folks today just don't appreciate the finer things in life. I really pitty you poor souls, really I do, so as I sit down to a fine New Years evening of entertainment I will joyfully tip my glass of Egg Nog and wish a Happy New Year to you all.

PD

And the events director does not run first night, they have their own committee and funds
The events director is there for support but I see that changing next year as Mike will be taking charge of some things to make it more friendly to $$ patrons
Downtown and all the restaurants should be packed New Year's Eve with celebrations but right now there is no reason for people to spend all night down there

PD

Check out that website. Went to it yesterday and it said by early December the schedule and all the events would be posted
Its empty
The only thing i have heard is there will be fireworks at 9 and midnight
What time is the opening ceremony?  No wonder no one ever shows up to the opening
I will be down there with my wife having dinner just like every other year then Adios

joly1584

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on December 29, 2014, 08:24:12 AM
Unqualified events coordinator perhaps?

Just a large gap between the release of Lyndsey and the hiring of her replacement in November.
Quote from: Towntalk on December 29, 2014, 10:49:54 AM
For an event this big, there should be a committee that starts planning for First Night Youngstown early in January, and by Thanksgiving should have the whole event planned out and fully organized.
As to "volunteers", that should be the responsability of the various venues, and they should not expect the First Night Youngstown committee to do this for them.

There is a committee that works year round on this project.  Several people, including coucilman Schwierz, work hard to put this together.

jay

The temperature is going to be in the teens on New Years Eve.  Find a warm place to spend the evening.

jay

If the venues had to provide the volunteers, there would not be a First Night.

Towntalk

For an event this big, there should be a committee that starts planning for First Night Youngstown early in January, and by Thanksgiving should have the whole event planned out and fully organized.
As to "volunteers", that should be the responsability of the various venues, and they should not expect the First Night Youngstown committee to do this for them.

Youngstownshrimp

Unqualified events coordinator perhaps?