News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What And Where

Started by Towntalk, October 26, 2014, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

While I do feel that the early college program can be of real benefit to most kids, I also fear that in all, we are pushing our kids to learn too much, too early.
For instance, when I was in school, we learned pre-algebra in the 9th grade. Today, they're teaching pre-algebra in the 5th grade.
Calculus used to be a college freshman course. Today, they're teaching calculus in 10th grade.
They are teaching these difficult courses earlier every year. Not only that, but they are teaching them not just to learn something that will benefit their lives, but TO PASS STATE TESTS.
Where do we draw the line?  Where do we, as parents, say ENOUGH!

Anyway - My son wanted to start the early college program this year, but I thought 9th grade was a bit too early. He agreed to wait til 10th grade if I let him take advanced computer programming. 
:o ???
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

You're not alone my friend ... all that we've been hearing is the negative side of the city school system, and precious little about the Early College program. I know that it's opened my eyes.

Peggy Gurney

Well, I have no idea, so shame on me.  >:(
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

It's good to know that for all it's failures, the City School System does have provisions for gifted students such as the Early College High School on the campus of YSU and the Early College Middle School at 200 East Wood Street.

Towntalk

joly1584

1)  Choffin Career & Technical Center
2)  200 E Wood Street Youngstown OH
3)  High School and Adult career education

Years ago, when Youngstown had a gifted program for junior high students, the participating students from Volney and North were bussed to Choffin to take classes together. 

Towntalk

NO CLUES WILL BE GIVEN
BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THE ANSWER TO
ALL THREE PARTS OF THIS QUIZ

Towntalk

That FAILED to answer any of the questions.
FAILED

jay

I parked near this building today while attending a north side event.

Towntalk

What is this building? (Exact name in full.)
Where is this building? (The full address is an absolute must.)
What is it used for?
ALL THREE QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED COMPLETELY AND CORRECTLY OR SHAME ON YOU!