News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lawn Question

Started by Towntalk, June 10, 2013, 11:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: sfc_oliver on June 11, 2013, 09:52:04 PM
And every word that is said by other 10 year olds.....
how true :D

sfc_oliver

And every word that is said by other 10 year olds.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

they also can repeat for verbatim to their  classmates, to other teachers and to their parents what their teacher said in the classrm.

Why?Town

10 yr olds remember EVERYTHING!

former 10 yr olds on the other hand...

sfc_oliver

Where? I don't remember. Off to one side or the other, my Dad used to go out there to fly model airplanes, there were about 100 people or more would meet there on the weekends, used to be a big thing. Then they or we moved out to Boardman park. Haven't seen an elderberry since. I mean we are talking 50 years ago......

I don't remember much about the place, though I seem to remember we were a good distance (maybe 100 yards) off the runway where the bushes were. I seem to remember being close to the end of the runway and looking to the left to see most of it.... But like I said, 50 years ago, and what does a 10 year old remember????

Towntalk

In a search of the internet, it seems that there is/was a ban on Gooseberries and Currants, because of a plant desease the can get that effects trees, but when I went to the Penn State Extension site, this ban is not enforced, but as a child I remember them. My Grandmother had a Currant bush or two and she wouldmake Currant Jam.

Youngstownshrimp

Sarge,
Tell me where, maybe they are still there.

sfc_oliver

Not sure about Huckleberries or Gooseberries, but I do remember picking Elderberries at Landsdown Airport back in the early 60's....

Towntalk

A tip of the hat to you westsider and thanks a whole lot. I guess this would be best called a weed of little value. I think I'll just stick to store bought strawberries. But can anyone tell me where I can get real Wild Huckleberries? Not only do they make great pies, but also are good on cerial. I've also have been trying to find Gooseberries but the stores don't seem to sell these kind of berries.

northside lurker

I did a little more searching, and this is what I meant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_strawberry
(I have a lot of this in my yard. >:( )
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Huckleberries and Chestnuts?

Towntalk

Speaking of Huckleberries, I sure would love a real homemade Huckleberry Pie topped with a scoop of Ice Cream.

I doubt though wild Huckleberries though are sought out by todays breed of kids, but in the day, we would go up to Huckleberr Hill in my home town when the Huckleberries were ripe and fill a basket of the berries, and our Mothers would make Huckleberry Pies for us. What a great treat.

Towntalk

Thanks westsider. In a Google search it turns out that not only are they eatable for humans, but some folks gather the scattered plants and place them in a garden to grow. They are rich in vitamen C and can be made into jams and jellies. Some nurseries actually sell wild strawberry plants.

While the Google search is positive on wild strawberries, I shy away from eating wild fruits and berries except Huckleberries because I know that they are not only safe to eat but quite tastey, and as a kid we use to go Huckleberry picking.

sfc_oliver

Had them in the back Yard when we lived down near Cincinnati. The deer would come right up to the house eating them. They don't make enough sugar for me to eat them.....

northside lurker

They might be wild strawberries.  Were the berries preceded by a small yellow flower?  (search for "wild strawberries on Google images to see if they look the same)

Just to be clear, though, they aren't related to edible strawberries.  I don't think they are poisonous, but they wouldn't taste anything like real strawberries.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison