News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The River … the river!

Started by Towntalk, March 28, 2013, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

While I do understand where Jay is coming from, I don't think we have to leave the entire riverfront undeveloped.  San Antonio, TX spent how many millions of dollars to build a fake river, so that they had a riverfront to develop. Yet, we have a real river, and we don't want to do anything with it.  Why?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

You're absolutely right Jay. Allow the area around the river to go wild again. Install a bike trail, and around Spring Commons a boat dock so that canoes can be launched. Tie it in to Mill Creek Park.

jay

I've taken a canoe ride on the Mahoning River through Youngstown.  The most enjoyable aspect of the trip was not having to see the banks of the river lined with man made structures.  It was almost like being in a wilderness area in some other part of the country.

Towntalk

I agree 1000% times 3000%. These kids are either blind or simply did not have all the real accomplishments presented to them by their minders. My goodness ... how many restaurants are already downtown? How many entertainment venues that offer a wide choice of entertainment are there. How many high rise apartment buildings are there already downtown ... I can think of five that are already occupied, and more are in the works.

As to establishments along the river ... this has been discussed how many times over the past ten years or so. It was long ago pointed out that due to pollution from the former steel mills plus the fact that the area is in a flood plain exclude apartments and restaurants in that area.

And as for street artists slapping absreact painting on "empty buildings" ... absolutely stupid in the extreme.

Return the banks of the river to green spaces ... a park like atmosphere with trails for hiking and biking. This would be doable and could be a mission for Treez Please that would be worth while.

Why?Town

Read the article, not impressed.

These kids really have nothing to offer that our own "made in the USA kids" couldn't come up with.

Examples:
"suggestions such as clearing space for restaurants and downtown apartments along the river, and turning vacant buildings into recreational facilities"

"have street artists paint an old industrial building celebrating the area's steel history"

At least local kids would know what they are dealing with.

After studying Youngstown since October, one student "thought it would be a city without a downtown and urban life and be vacant"

Another "expected it to be worse with a lot of vacant and torn-down buildings"

Did they really study Youngstown for 4 months and really not know about Youngstown?

Did anyone take them through any rough neighborhoods? Apparently not or they would have seen "a lot of vacant and torn-down buildings"

I hope I'm not paying for this nonsense.