News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Boil Allert Questions

Started by jay, July 15, 2012, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Boiling water day after day just heats the house up even more.

stewie

Quote from: joly1584 on July 15, 2012, 11:36:16 AM

On a side note - on Monday July 9 the city resurfaced Arrowae Drive - on Friday July 13 the water department was digging it up because of a water line break.
I am sure that digging up Arrowae Drive  just after resurfacing it has been part of the City's diabolical plan for years. BWAH, HA, HAAAA. It is probably, most definitely, absolutely not a coincidence and must be someones fault. Such ineptitude I cant stand it.

Towntalk

Crews had the line shut off in 45 minutes. Water is back on for customers, but with the boil alert in effect.

Meanwhile, another break off of Glenwood Avenue also kept crews busy. Leson said it was a small one, calling it "your typical break." He added the dry weather is causing problems.

"The ground is shrinking, it's putting so much pressure down on the pipes, and we're taking a beating right now," he said

Boil Alert

http://www.mahoninghealth.org/Portals/MCBOH/Uploaded_Documents/20120716083441.pdf

Rick Rowlands

I find it amusing that you expect private sector customer service from a city bureaucracy.  Not going to happen!

Did you think of calling 911? They should be able to report the problem.

Towntalk

Didn't know we had a system like that in Youngstown.

jay

The city has a City Watch System (might be called something else now) to be used to notify citizens of problems by phone.  Several city block watches also have the ability to use the system.

Towntalk

I would agree on the map, but how do you suggest that the Water Dept. phone all the homes in the affected area?

jay

QuoteThe Water Department has issued a boil notice to customers who completley lost water pressure as a precaution.

People already at work for the day would not have known that their line pressure had dropped.  I still say there has to be a map of the affected areas and/or people in the affected areas have to notified that their drinking water may be contaminated.

joly1584

After two hours of trying to contact the water departments "emergency" number,  I e-mailed WKBN to report the problem.  They e-mailed me back with an offer for an interview, which I declined, about the problems contacting the water department.  They were able to tell me about the water line break.  Their story about the water line break started with "Our phone lines lit up this morning" - indicating several people had problems getting in touch with the water department Saturady morning. 

The water company needs to have their "emergency" number staffed 24/7.

On a side note - on Monday July 9 the city resurfaced Arrowae Drive - on Friday July 13 the water department was digging it up because of a water line break.

Towntalk

1. Did you lose pressure?

2. If so, then the boil alert would be advisory.

The Water Department has issued a boil notice to customers who completley lost water pressure as a precaution.

Any customer in Boardman, Cornersburg or the South Side of Youngstown who lost all water pressure is advised to boil tap water used for drinking and cooking.

jay

On Saturday morning, a large part of the southwest side of Youngstown was without water due to a line break.  Actually this affected my neighborhood.

Questions
I tried in vain to to reach someone by phone at the water department to report the problem.  How is someone supposed to contact the water department on weekends?????

A boil allert has been issued for the affected areas.
I checked the Youngstown Department's website and could not find a map of the affected areas nor any mention of the water problem.
What are the affected areas?????