News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Council gives 70K to a Downtown Law Firm for Moving Expenses

Started by Rick Rowlands, June 21, 2012, 09:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

The City has been unable to govern itself much less its citizens for several decades now.
And we sit back and just watch the decay morally ,economically and physically..........then we blog here.

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

I wish someone would have tracked all of the incentives that the city has given in recent years.  That VXI place has received many of them.   For just one example, the city pays about $60,000 per year to bus the employees from the Convocation Center parking lot to 20 Federal Place.

I drove down South Avenue today.  It seems that there are more vacant and boarded up businesses than buildings that are occupied.  The same thing is happening to Mahoning Avenue on the west side.

One of the reasons for businesses leaving the city is the high income tax.
It's 2.75 %, the highest in the state.

kenneyjoe330

I sure was against the city paying the 70K untill I thought about the return on it - the city income tax is 2 and 3/4 is it not?  I wounder how long it will take for the city to recoupe that 70K. They park somewhere as well as their clients.  Both would have the choice to eat downtown and may places to drink after doing 'legal things'  :laugh: .  Someone may even purchase something from Silver's  :)   or Touch The Moon Candy Saloon  :-*    There are a few things to consider here about this 70K and what the city"s returne on it would be and how may years (?) it would take before the return takes place ?  Just something to consider.  I would think a Law Practice would generate a few bucks in to city coffers.

Towntalk

Some people simply aren't satisfied with anything the city does, especially the old crone that wants the Police Chief an elected politician because she has a gripe against him. Things in the city are far from perfect, that's a given, but please tell us of any Ohio city that is perfect.

Now admittedly I'm not happy about the mouthpieces being given 70k to stay in the city, but I do not see any of the so called activists challenging that grant in the proper venue, and mahoningvalley.info as good as it is, is not the proper venue I have in mind.

A temporary restraining order against the city is the proper action in Common Pleas Court.

Ranting and raving here will accomplish nothing but allow folks to vent their spleens.

Rick Rowlands

I think the reason for doing this is to generate additional income taxes for the city.  With a 2 1/2% income tax, for the city to make back that 70K "investment" would require an additional $2.8 million in payroll to be added!   

Towntalk

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

I've heard that the Youngstown office of this law firm is moving One Block.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on June 22, 2012, 07:48:43 AM
Terry,
I like that, it seems there is momentum in the country for people to take back government from all politicians.

Ubetcha. I'd like to fire the whole of Washington DC and start the hell all over again.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: jay on June 21, 2012, 08:25:37 PM
Would the administration also be willing to offer incentives for people to stay in the city?

We have two Forum members who would probably also like moving expenses for relocating from the south side and west side to the north side.

I'll take those incentives, please Mr. Mayor?!?!?

I do not agree with this deal in any way shape or form.
In fact I will go a step further and say that I do not like all the tax breaks, water breaks, etc that the city is giving these developers, etc.
If they want to develop in Youngstown, fine, DO it. But do it because YOU want to, not because you get a break at our expense.
That money go pay for a lot of street repaving,. and neighborhood improvements/development.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Youngstownshrimp

Terry,
I like that, it seems there is momentum in the country for people to take back government from all politicians.

iwasthere

ytown residents will take back the city hall when they themselves take back the power that they gave to the city leaders.

Youngstownshrimp

When will it all end, when will we take back our City hall?

jay

This was ordinance number 7 on last night's city council agenda.

This ordinance was approved by all seven councilmen.