News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New To Central Square

Started by jay, November 09, 2011, 04:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Cops Confiscate Occupy Youngstown Tent, Barrels

http://www.wkbn.com/content/news/local/story/Cops-Confiscate-Occupy-Youngstown-Tent-Barrels/914jY-71Lk-fLecdmFSGGA.cspx

"I think we're just going to try and put the stuff back up like right now, like again, and just let them come in again because we don't feel like we're in the wrong," Badgett said.

Bill Youngman, Organizer of "Occupy Youngstown".

Jacob Harver, co-organizer for "Occupy Youngstown"

State Rep. Bob Hagan, who said he's been involved with planning the event from the very beginning.

Members of Occupy Youngstown met Sunday night behind closed doors at The Lemon Grove Café to finalize their plans for the event.

sfc_oliver

I returned from the Veterans Day Ceremony about 90 minutes ago. And first let me tell you it was a wonderful ceremony. Veterans from every group you can think of showed up. The Marine League Honor guard was on the mark as usual, and the ROTC Color Guard from YSU was Sharp as a tack.

The 5 member of OWs that I saw stayed on the side of the street, and only after the Marines stepped out into the street to Fire the 21 gun salute did they step forward.

I don't know if it's appropriate or inappropriate that one of them had a sign about ending the war during a Veterans Day Ceremony............ Just not something I really want to think too much about..........

But the tent, table, and canopies are gone...................
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

AllanY2525

I agree with all those here who defend and support the right to freedom of speech,
even though it may be unpopular to many of us.

I also think they should clean up their sh*t from Central Square.... this interferes
with the use and enjoyment of others and they did not get permission from the
city to use public lands as a camping spot for their protests.

I'm glad to see reports that their overall behavior has been good, and that they
respected the laying of the roses event and were not a disruption to it - this tells
me that these folks, however misguided they may be, are showing some character
that contains a modicum of common decency.

:/

sfc_oliver

During the "Laying of the Roses" Ceremony the protesters were well behaved and stayed on the south west corner, While the ceremony was on the Northwest corner. I really have no complaints over their behavior. But I do think they are unsightly, and full of bull......

As I said I'm sure the city has laws which they must confirm to. And Dennis, I will still stand up and defend their right to free speech. No matter how dumb it makes them sound........

Towntalk

Dennis, I'm confused, the protesters are not being stopped from protesting ... they're free to protest till the cows come home, all that the city wants is for them to get rid of the tent and barrel and clean up their stuff. How's that interfering with their free speech rights. If you had a neighbor who was violating Struthers building codes, you'd be the first to complain if it did harm to your property values. If I were to litter the street or city property I'd be held responsible, and honestly I'd expect to be before a judge, and ordered to pay a fine.

I'd have more respect for them if they demonstrated as much respect for others as they demand for themselves, and that includes respect for tax payer property.

A question: Aside from instigating the protest in the first place, just what are the folks at the Lemon Grove doing to support the protesters? Who is supplying the protesters with food for example? Are the folks at the Lemon Grove supplying the protesters with food?

irishbobcat

Rick, please stick it up your  A@#.....

Do you have the income tax forms of everyone down there who protests?

Do you know everything?  Seems like you know very little......

Again, the poors right to protest and assemble is being trampled......

I'm sure if the Tea Party folks were doing this you would see nothing wrong with it......

Again, you are such as A#$.....

Rick Rowlands

Oh get off it Dennis.  These are not poor people.  These are useful idiots egged on by the likes of John Russo and union thugs.  They don't know what they are protesting, and how much damage it would do to themselves if they got what they want.  These people are incapable of independent thought, it is all groupthink going on at the occupy protests. 

jay

At least in the photo posted with this thread, no one was blocking the sidewalk on Central Square.  Also, the sidewalk continues around the back of the flower bed.  No one from OY was on the sidewalk between the flower bed and the bank building.

I didn't hear of any confrontation between those veterans at the Laying of the Roses event and the Occupy Youngstown group.  Both were on Central Square at the same time last Sunday.

sfc_oliver

Some people believe that free speech gives them the right to interfere with the rights of others. I don't know the local laws and ordinances in Youngstown about having permits for protests and all that. But I do know that Youngstown has some. And if these people have overstepped their bounds then it is time for them to pack up..... Of course since the Veterans do have to walk right through that area tomorrow the chief may be simply stopping a confrontation..... Who knows?

irishbobcat

Again, free speech and the right to assemble is thrown under the bus......

Thank you chief.....thank you for suppressing the rights of the poor.....

sfc_oliver

Good for him. Though it really doesn't matter, as far as I know they were not really bothering anyone. I do wonder if they will still be there during the Veterans Day Ceremony tomorrow though....

jay

Today the Youngstown Police Chief ordered that all materials be removed from the Occupy Youngstown site on Central Square.

Towntalk

:) Did they get a building permit, and does their cottage meet building code? Are they going to be held to the same standards that home owner are required to meet so far as trash etc.?  ;D

sfc_oliver

Is it legal it camp on Youngstown Central Square?

jay

The Occupy Youngstown group now has a shelter erected on Central Square.